weird swordtail saga

noelberg

Fishaholic
Reaction score
it's been a long strange trip with my swordtails ... :alien:
It began in February with "ladykiller," the stunning orange/white male who stressed 3 females to death ... (i nearly stopped keeping swordtails because of him)

Back about 3 months, while he was still well, I got him 2 lovely orange females - 1 had to be taken back (was very sick) and exchanged for a gorgeous orange tuxedo female.

when ladykiller started freaking out around the tuxedo, i realized "she" had a gonopodum! :crazy: After a while he stopped going after the new dude and started bugging the real female - idiot! Then ladykiller got some weird tail growth that split his tail and led to a nasty case of fin rot, then death. :byebye:

-->LONG STORY SHORT .....
that cute little swordtail "female" is now a good 4 inches without the sword, and the sword is going on a solid 2 inches now. he's been really good to the female (compared to ladykiller) AND
HE'S A LYRETAIL SWORD! :D The point at the top of his tail fin is just starting to grow nicely now. I hope I can get some decent pics ... but here's a link with a blurry pic: My Album

Very nice, i had problems with the males insted if my female, but it occurred differently, i got my first first, that were neons at first, then my mum stepped it up for me and i got two larger fish, one a red golden platy, and the other i rare swordtail cross breed, it was crossed solver molly with a pinned stripped swordtail and turned out female in the end, then we got some a new feamle swordtail and a male swordtail, both pinned stripped, but the two only got along with one another, my rare one didnt seemed too bothered, i woke the next morning to find the male dead, but the female living because she was the second biggest fish in me tank, then i tried another male and guess what the next day i found him dead... she had killed him, my rare swordtail and the other one didnt seem interested in him, now this didnt make sense to me until like 3 or 4 weeks after when i found baby fry in the bottom of the tank :p

But shortly after my rare female swordtail fell victum to dropsey and died the day after i took her out away from the others... I then got a new larger tank because of the fry, and i thought i would try another male, Next morning i woke after getting him.. dead... :( I was having the worse luck with male swordtails, then i tried again, this time a different type of swordtail, a red finned swordtail, but he lasted two days before dieing, but i knew the cause of this one, because one of his eyes was white, at first my mum kept telling me he might be blind in one eye, and kept refusung to take him back to the store, until i noticed he had pop eye, and then a few hours later after i relized it and was trying to get my mother to take me to the fish store he died too..

I almost gave up, as a last resort i decided to get another female and two males!!! and now look, all alive and well, the two males only go after their own type of spieces though, because the three new ones are Red finned swordtails again, but the are all happy and so am i, knowing i aint jinx or something on male swordtails...

That is my saga with my swordtails..

I tell you one thing though, i want to get two swordtail in particular, the Koi swordtail that was newly descovered recently and the other is that large finned swordtail, cant remember the name of it at the moment

:p

Most reactions

Back