Weird growth on Asian Water Fern

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

HarpyFishLover

Fishaholic
Reaction score
So I got an Asian Water Fern recently, and it had these weird spiky cactus-like things on its leaves. I figured they weren't a problem... but now there are shoots growing out of the cactus-like growths. Is this normal?
P. s... sorry for the horrible photo. I will get a new one soon, if need be.

Attachments

• 1479151846272454545573.jpg
    1479151846272454545573.jpg
    312.1 KB · Views: 633
Those are baby's <3
no its not necessarily a good thing, but first let me explain; The growths on the leaves are other water fern plants, that when get bigger you can cut off and plant but it takes a long time, the shoots from the tiny baby water ferns, are roots.
If your plant is shooting off baby's right now than something is wrong, as it only really does that when its about to die. in the pic it looks like its planted in the substrate, its not supposed to be a substrate plant, you bury the long roots in the substrate and let the rhizome float.

Those are baby's <3
no its not necessarily a good thing, but first let me explain; The growths on the leaves are other water fern plants, that when get bigger you can cut off and plant but it takes a long time, the shoots from the tiny baby water ferns, are roots.
If your plant is shooting off baby's right now than something is wrong, as it only really does that when its about to die. in the pic it looks like its planted in the substrate, its not supposed to be a substrate plant, you bury the long roots in the substrate and let the rhizome float.
Oh, good to know. I probably should have done some research before getting that plant. In the store, it had those roots. So what I need to do is pull it out of the gravel, and only bury the roots?

pretty much, usually when I first put them in (I don't have them anymore though. =;( ) I push the whole plant (not like the leaves and stuff though lol) bottom into the gravel, then I gently pull it up until the rhizome is out of the gravel and the roots are still in the gravel though. :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back