Water Chemistry Gone Badly Wrong

No difference. The only reason to do larger water changes is if your readings are higher that they are when you do a 50% change.

LP

This is the reason why people tend to recommend fishless cycles - fish-in is really boring!

This is why fishless cycling is better, it's less phaffing :nod: I know you did some of a fishless cycle at first, could you take the fish back to the store and do another one now? Then go back and get new fish once you're done?

a suppose i could always hang on a few days and see if the fish live or not

then if they die just go for a fishless cycle
(to start a fishless cycle would i be better off starting from scratch i.e replace my filter media, clean everything inside the tank gravel, plants etc?)

(to start a fishless cycle would i be better off starting from scratch i.e replace my filter media, clean everything inside the tank gravel, plants etc?)

:crazy: if you're going to just stop water changes and let them be slowly poisoned why don't you just take them back to the shop?! Or give them away to someone else, it's easy enough to do online.

If you DO get rid of the fish, don't start afresh, just continue the fishless cycle with everything as it is.

In your position, if I went back to fishless I would not start from scratch the bacteria in your filter now will give you a headstart on the fishless.

But if you are thinking like that I would look to take your fish back to a shop

No i didnt mean it like that i ment i will keep up with the water changes and if they die then im back to a fishless cycle i will keep going with it :)

Ahhh fair enough! Well as long as you;re on top of your water changes and keeping your levels low enough, there's no reason why they should die, platies are pretty tough. Good luck!

i wish i didnt screw mine up

my main problem was that i started off my fishless cycle adding bacteria and ammomia, then just left it not relising i had to keep putting ammonia to keep it going went to put fish in and totally went off the charts for my water chemistry its on its way to getting sorted now keep having to do the same as you pal water changes every day for a fishin cycle i tell you this yes it does get boring and annoying after a while but it will be worth it in the end :)

new tests couldnt be bothered to use me phone again

Before Water Change
Ammonia - 0.50ppm
Nitrite - 0.50ppm

After Water Change
Ammonia - 0ppm
Nitrite - 0ppm

could you not use some sort of bacteria booster? would that not speed it along abit because that would boost the bacteria in your filter wouldnt it?

None of those bacterial boosters do any good; the bacteria can't stay alive wihout a flow of water and a food source, so they're just bottles of dead bacterai. Water changes are the only real solution.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back