Water Chemistry Gone Badly Wrong

Same with me. I hope you finally get you tank to the place you want it to be. ;)

Do as many water changes as it takes to get the levels down to 0. Then each day do a test and use that to guide how much water you change, if necessary doing a test after the change to confirm the levels. Repeat for as many weeks as it takes :)

Your pH should stay the same. If you see it dropping do a water change. Your Nitrates might go off the chart. You don't want that to happen so if you see it exceeding 40ppm do a water change. ;)

Nitrates are nothing to worry about, fish can live in 300+ppm Nitrates (not advised but very common) Some fish like dicus cetain rams like to be kept in the 20-40ppm range. Nitrite and ammonia are the killers and demand a water change :good:

My Show tank only get 5-10ppm max Nitrates due to plants ans water changes, my other tanks will see 80+ppm before water change day with no ill effect

Wow I never realized fish could live in such a high amount of nitrate! I though that it was dangerous at around 50ppm! :lol:

less than 24 hours later heres the test results again

IMG-20110818-00007.jpg

It looks like your ammonia is processing fine as its staying very close to 0. but of course its producing nitrites which is the 2nd stage of the cycle which could mean that yout filter "might" be able to sustain your fish within a couple of weeks.(thats actually good news)

also, with such a big increase within 24 hours, i would say your tank is probably maxed out on stocking, so dont add anything else to it.

80% water change needed to knock that nitrite down again.

Forget the low range PH test, do a high range one on the next test, that will give you a good indication of your tap waters PH value (it does look like 7.2 but hard to tell in the pic), which in turn will give you an idea of what fish you can keep in your water should you change the stock or upgrade your tank ;)

less than 24 hours later heres the test results again

View attachment 64290
Agree with previous posts - another double water change needed. Ie, 80-90% change, then test the nitrite again (you don't need to test the others again) and if it hasn't yet reached 0, do another one. Then test again in 12 hours and be prepared to do another change. It's a ballache, but it's got to be done else your remaining fish will die...

i changed my water again shorlty after the first post so i didnt get the last 2 i have tested all 4 again heres the results after a 80-90% change

IMG-20110818-00008.jpg

Much better :)

test again in about 10 hours and see what they are like. Although you can stop testing the pH and Nitrate - just concentrate on ammonia and nitrite for the moment :)

Much better :)

test again in about 10 hours and see what they are like. Although you can stop testing the pH and Nitrate - just concentrate on ammonia and nitrite for the moment :)

yeah i would have just tested for Ammonia and Nitrite but i didnt get your previous comment till after i had already done it :lol: test again in 10 hours and get back to yous later :D

about 7-8 hours after my last water change
Could i get away with doing a 50% water change insted of 80% - 90%?

IMG-20110818-00009.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back