Viettxboii's Low Tech Nano- Redone -> V2

Viettxboii

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
So i set up my 2.5 ..Lol
Heres how it looked when i started it
100_1095.jpg

Then i got lighting installed and a sump..
100_1097.jpg

Then i chucked in a piece of driftwood changed back to the stingray due to pumping issues with the sump.
100_1110.jpg

Then i just bought some java moss today and a new airpump, now running a whisper internal 3i, will attempt to purchase a new sponge filter instead though.
100_1112.jpg
How it looks as of now.

Only plant as of now is java moss
Lighting is done with a 15 watt 6500k screw in CF spiral. No ferts or co2 added, DIY co2 maybe added in the future when moer plants are introduced.
and yes i know it looks quite messy atm once it grows more evenly on the driftwood will give it a trim. will probably grow hte clippings in a 2 gallon hex by the window.
Any suggestions/ Comments?
Only fauna is the Betta,and possibly pest snails, may add in some shrimp , if i can find red crystal shrimp or cherry shrimp, ghost shrimp are too violent IMO lol..

i retied all the moss and took some of hte moss and made a carpet ,after a few weeks when it fills in and the threads gone itll look better, afterall i did start planting yesterday..
in the back corner i plan ot get a java moss, and in hte front corner in front of hte filter i plan to get some chain swords... may add DIY co2 or ferts

Interesting idea :) does the betta might the strong light?

Sam

Looks good,

Perhaps you could add some floating plants such as Salvina, I'm sure the floating plant will provide the Betta with some cover.

Cheers,
Mike

100_1134.jpg

updated..
just put in new plants i got from my friend, not sure what it is but its growing all voer his tank, and i have some in my main tank as well along with the guppies ireceived form him.

Still looking good, I think the moss needs a prune though ;) should help it bush out if you prune it.

Sam

Still looking good, I think the moss needs a prune though ;) should help it bush out if you prune it.

Sam

I agree with Sam, moss needs a prune. Try some anubias too, if you can. They would love your setup. Stick with anubia barterii var nana or smaller. Also, try filling the tank to the rim, the glare from the bulb will be less intense when you snap a photo. Otherwise, great, low-maintenance job. :good: I've got an even simpler setup in a bowl that's all moss. A betta in a large bowl, a few well-placed large river rocks in the bottom and suspended Christmas moss. Then I plop it in front of a North-facing window. My plakat loves the setup, even more than when he was in the 2.5g. Go figure. The unfiltered water allows him to build bubble nests. I've got some small corydoras in the 2.5g tank, as a temporary solution for now.

llj

100_1135.jpg

100_1136.jpg

100_1137.jpg

these were from two weeks ago with the full bulk of plants my friend gave me some of them arent doign so well and im pulling them soon, though i see that their forming roots that are just dangling in the middle of hte water, the stuff i have in that pic from earlier is spourting lots of new shoots and doing great.
ill give a picture update soon full tank shot.

100_1198.jpg

update, i took low maintenance to a new levle , being busy with school i did only a 50% every 2 weeks, and as with hair algae its all over the place, and hard to put out without pulling out hte floating hygro.
I'm thinking of donating most of the hygro to a friend when he starts his 10gal planted.
Also after the recape, iwant to do an entire rescape, hardscape and all.
Im thinking of something like hygro backdrop, and a small rock/ driftwood in the middle, or a branchy driftwood with a bit of moss.
For mid and foreground, its all going to be a moss carpet.
Lighting as before is 15watt screw in fluorescent.
Will start to dose excel after this.
I feel that way its easier, since its not a complete mess and hte hygro will be planted this time.
Filtration is an elite mini set at minimum flow, may swap this out for a cheap HOB filter (knock off red sea nano @ 40gph probably)
Any suggestions/ comments?
Stocking is 1 male betta, one pond snail and 2 female guppy fry

Edit: plans to tear down tank, as for errant hair algae problem, any solutions?

updated! i managed to clean up a lot of algae (the jar i was putting it into was quite green afterwards)
I scrubbed the front glass, and hung the lighting and moved the tank oveer. This is a temporary fix till i can knock up a quick and fast fixture, did a 75% wc, and changed to a HOB filter.
Also i took out some floatin g hygro and put it in a small 1 litre bowl, and a handful of java moss, sitting at the window.
When they get green again, ill think about my next project : converting this tank into an iwagumi.
Here are some pics :
100_1222.jpg

100_1223.jpg

Most reactions

Back