Vertical Stripes Problem?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

MonikaMouse

Reaction score
I have been trying to breed my white female betta for some time now and none of males seem to have an interest in her. It made me wonder, are male bettas stimulated into breeding through visual signals only and would this effect her chances of breeding becuase her vertical stripes cannot be seen? I'll place the female in a clear container and allow her to "float" in the tank until the male has built the nest all up... However, they don't build one! They'll swim near her, but they don't flare or anything.

I condition all my fish with brine shrimp and black worms before breeding so I don't think it's due to poor nutrition. All my other "darker" females breed fine with my males, but not her...?

Any Advice?

Bettas are like people when it comes down to courtship, if their not attracted or impressed, they'll be pretty much incompatible.
Try using dried Indian almond leaves or blackwater extract, I usually use it for all my pairs even those playing hard to get. It induces breeding, atleast it's been working for me 100% of the time.

I heard that some fish just won't breed, but this is the first time it's happened. Thanks for the tip though, I'll look into getting some! :)

How long do you condition for? Do you lower the water level to breed? Most males won't breed with the water above 4-5" deep.

I condition my bettas for 2 weeks before breeding, and I always lower the water level. I think it encourages the male to search the tank bottom for eggs more.

MonikaMouse said:
I condition my bettas for 2 weeks before breeding, and I always lower the water level. I think it encourages the male to search the tank bottom for eggs more.

Hmm, seems you're doing everything right. It might just be that she's not interested and so the male is picking up in that and not bothering.

At what age do you suggest breeding your females? She's about 9 months old, is she too young to breed? Her sister has bred already?

MonikaMouse said:
At what age do you suggest breeding your females? She's about 9 months old, is she too young to breed? Her sister has bred already?

I don't know, all the females I've bred have been between 6-9 months old so I wouldn't say it's age. I even had a male breed(sort of) at 4 months.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back