urget..coldwater tank in bad shape..help!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

sara_of_sheffield

Reaction score
hiya..was wondering if anyone could help us..ive got a tropical tank (which is doing fine thank the gods!), and my bf has a coldwater one. he had a pond with a few koi and 2 mirror carp in but has moved house and hasnt yet got his new pond dug, so for a while the fish have been inside in a 4foot aquarium with an undergravel filter. everything was fine..ive done water tests and ammonia, nitrates and ph are all fine (ps, should i be testing nitrItes instead??). a couple of the fish died, but there didnt seem to be anything obviously wrong with them. then the other day we noticed that most of them have developed a white bit in the eye. its not all over cloudy..seems quite localised across the middle of the eye...seems a bit stringy (like can see it raised off the surface of the eye) but its not fluffy. then almost overnight some of them have white lumps on the edges of fins, tail and gills...
we cant seem to find what it is exactly..have looked in a few books we have..doesnt seem to be white spot as its not all over the body..dont know if it would be find rot..no rotten fins yet butg as i said this white stuff on the fins has only just appeared. and would that affect the eyes? someone said the eye thing might be due to bad water quality burning the surface of the eye..but water seems fine according to the tests. i bought one of the dead fish into work today (work in a lab) and scraped its skin and looked under microscope,. but couldnt really see much..to be honest wouldnt really know what to look for unless there were lots of vicious looking beasts! but this fish didnt seem to have the eye thing or the white bits...but had a red bloody area under its neck, like a fish bruise. so we dont know what treatment to go for..im thinking some parasite one, but then if its some other type of thing like fungus we dont want to go ahead and put something in which delays us treating it with the correct stuff...

any advice? its really upsetting my boyfriend..poor boy. should have crabs like me!

thanks a lot for any advice!
Sara
xxxx

Well its quite hard to tell without seeing, do you have any pics?

At the moment I am thinking Gill Flukes as well as Velvet, or another infection. The gill flukes will cause glazed eyes, heavy breathing, heightened colour, inflamed gills, disorientation due to lack of oxygen to the brain, the fish will try to rub its gills on stones etc. The Velvet would explain the white marks.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back