Urgent Help Needed - Plants Dying

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Assaye

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
I've got a 23 gallon tank cycling in my house in York. I'm currently staying with my parents for the summer but my housemate is adding ammonia and turning the lights on and off.

In the tank are about 6 or 7 plants (can't remember what they are all called), and they are all dying. I stupidly didn't add any kind of fertilizer and there is no CO2 injection.

I can't do anything about the tank until I get back there at the weekend, and even then I'm only back for a couple of days. I'll be back properly in September.

So I need a quick fix solution. My housemate has offered to go to a lfs or garden centre to get some kind of fertilizer. What do I need? I can't ask him to sort CO2 for me so really I just need something to tide them over until I can get them back to full health in September. Would garden plant fertilizer be OK? Does it have to be aquarium/aquatic plant specific? There are no fish in the tank yet.

I've got a 23 gallon tank cycling in my house in York. I'm currently staying with my parents for the summer but my housemate is adding ammonia and turning the lights on and off.

In the tank are about 6 or 7 plants (can't remember what they are all called), and they are all dying. I stupidly didn't add any kind of fertilizer and there is no CO2 injection.

I can't do anything about the tank until I get back there at the weekend, and even then I'm only back for a couple of days. I'll be back properly in September.

So I need a quick fix solution. My housemate has offered to go to a lfs or garden centre to get some kind of fertilizer. What do I need? I can't ask him to sort CO2 for me so really I just need something to tide them over until I can get them back to full health in September. Would garden plant fertilizer be OK? Does it have to be aquarium/aquatic plant specific? There are no fish in the tank yet.

first off get a timer for the lights........
what power are they and how long are they on for?

first off get a timer for the lights........
what power are they and how long are they on for?

One tube, daylight spectrum. On for 12 hours. Not sure what power, but it is being replaced soon. I plan to upgrade the entire set-up in September.

When I was in York I was adding fish food (of various types) daily, and the plants looked great. Now I've just got my housemate adding ammonia, to keep the tank cycled.

I really shouldn't have put the plants in so early, esp with me not being there for weeks. *head, desk*

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back