Uaru Cichlid

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Fishy_7

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have a 4ft 200+ litre tank and today I PX'ed three 5 inch Tinfoil Barbs for a 3 inch Severum and a 1.5 inch Uaru Cichlid.

I have read these fish are timid. The Severum has been hiding behind bogwood but has come out to scout the tank. It returns to the bogwood if I approach the tank. However, the Uaru has not come out yet. I know it is probably just getting used to things but I have just read that they are shoaling fish! Should I consider returning the fish back to the shop??

Other tank occupants are
- pair of Kribs,
- a Bolivian Ram,
- three African Butterfly Cichlids
- a few Cories
- 4 Cherry Barbs

Thanks for any advice.

Lucky! Uarus are rare fish. Dont return it, it should come out on its own.

Hi the Uaru and severum are lovely fish however you have an odd mix of fish for that size tank
Ive kept a large pair of Uaru before in a 700 litre tank and I can say that your tank will be too small for them and the severum.If you ge ta bigger tank though they are beautiful fish to keep

Eventually they will eat the cherry barbs also

Simonas is right they need bigger tanks than you have at present. Uarus are not shoaling fish as such, as in they do not rely on shoaling and schooling for defense from predators but they are gregarious and do best in trios or small groups. Severums are famous for sulking at most things so do not worry too much about him for now they will come round in time especially when they learn who feeds them :)

Long term though for me you have two options, option 1 get a much bigger tank and accommodate these dinner plate sized fish and get the Uaru some friends or take them back and stick with what is essentially a great stocking for a 200 liter tank. I would look at upping the Cherries and Cories and possibly juggle your cichlids a little so you got a pair out of your African Butterflies and tried to find a mate for your Bolivian.

Wills

Hi the Uaru and severum are lovely fish however you have an odd mix of fish for that size tank
Ive kept a large pair of Uaru before in a 700 litre tank and I can say that your tank will be too small for them and the severum.If you ge ta bigger tank though they are beautiful fish to keep

Eventually they will eat the cherry barbs also

I have to admit, it is a weird mix of fish. I love Cichlids and the smaller varieties are good for tank. When the Sev and Uaru (if it adjusts alright) get to a large size, I will trade them in.

Thanks.

I have 2 uarus. They have run the tank I call them the mofia. I have had them
For a year. They do best when kept with another Uaru. Mine are sways together. Sadly my small one was getting badly beat up and is not doing well but the larger one will keep the smaller one safe.

I have a severum with them too. They get along ok. But my uarus are not shy and never have been but they are big.

How long have you had the fish?
Your tank does not seem big enough for all those fish.

For a year. They do best when kept with another Uaru. Mine are sways together. Sadly my small one was getting badly beat up and is not doing well but the larger one will keep the smaller one safe.

I have a severum with them too. They get along ok. But my uarus are not shy and never have been but they are big.

Hi,

My Uaru is a juvenile, it is under 2 inch in size. I bought it on Sunday - 2 days ago.

I spoke to the LFS yesterday and they suggested that another one maybe a good idea to give my one some reasurrence. So that is what I did, this morning, I added another Uaru, which is the same size. They have been in the tank now for a few hours and I have observed some weird behaviour. Briefly, they were out together but seemed to be psyching each other out. Swimming around in a circle, showing their flanks to each other and locking lips.

They have now stopped that activity. One of them is swimming around the tank but the other is still hiding out of sight. I will observe them closely over the coming days. My biggest worry is that one or both of them will not get enough food as they dart for cover when I open the lid of the tank and come out far too late.

Yep - my tank is not big enough for these fish when they reach adulthood. If I don't have a larger tank to move them on to, then they will be rehomed. In the meantime, I will enjoy them ... that is I hope they come out of their shells!

Thanks. :good:

Oh course your LFS will suggest you buying another fish *rolls eyes* your tank is totally unsuitable for urau, they are very fast growing. Take them both back to the shop and tell the person that sold them to you that he is a muppet!

Course you could enjoy them till around 5-6" when they hit that they would need s bigger tank but until then enjoy !!!!!

Hi,

My Uaru is a juvenile, it is under 2 inch in size. I bought it on Sunday - 2 days ago.

I spoke to the LFS yesterday and they suggested that another one maybe a good idea to give my one some reasurrence. So that is what I did, this morning, I added another Uaru, which is the same size. They have been in the tank now for a few hours and I have observed some weird behaviour. Briefly, they were out together but seemed to be psyching each other out. Swimming around in a circle, showing their flanks to each other and locking lips.

They have now stopped that activity. One of them is swimming around the tank but the other is still hiding out of sight. I will observe them closely over the coming days. My biggest worry is that one or both of them will not get enough food as they dart for cover when I open the lid of the tank and come out far too late.

Yep - my tank is not big enough for these fish when they reach adulthood. If I don't have a larger tank to move them on to, then they will be rehomed. In the meantime, I will enjoy them ... that is I hope they come out of their shells!

Normal cichlid behavior. They will work it out and be friends in time. The smaller uarus really do benefit from being kept in groups.

Even my 2 would fight from time to time but they always made up and were back together.

Hi,

Normal cichlid behavior. They will work it out and be friends in time. The smaller uarus really do benefit from being kept in groups.

Even my 2 would fight from time to time but they always made up and were back together.

They are properly out of their shells now - Big eaters!! They hide among the driftwood but come out when I approach the tank. Seriously interesting fish, bags of character, it is a shame they are quite rare.

Thanks for all the comments.

Hi,

They are properly out of their shells now - Big eaters!! They hide among the driftwood but come out when I approach the tank. Seriously interesting fish, bags of character, it is a shame they are quite rare.

Thanks for all the comments.

Good to hear. Uarus really are very entertaining.. They will bite drift wood and eat algea off it. I put a pieces of wood that was covered in green algea. The Uarus eat it all off they are algea eaters. I watched them do it. Make sure to feed them plenty of greens. I feed mine plant clippings from my planted tanks, dry seaweed, veggie flakes, and cucumbers. They love it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back