Trying to figure out if I should be fertilizing.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Souperman

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I currently have a tank with some anubias nana petite, water wisteria, and small type of sword plant, can't remember the exact name. I was wondering if I should be fertilizing or should just fish waste be fine with these plants?

I currently have a tank with some anubias nana petite, water wisteria, and small type of sword plant, can't remember the exact name. I was wondering if I should be fertilizing or should just fish waste be fine with these plants?

The Anubias should manage, the sword, maybe but then not likely, the Wisteria probably not. Anubias is a low-light requiring plant, meaning that it takes less intense light to drive photosynthesis and that means less nutrients to balance the light. Swords (the green leaf varieties) tend to be moderate light, and these can greatly beenefit from substrate tabs. Wisteria being a stem plant is a fast grower, so it need brighter light (more intensity) and thus more nutrients to balance.

Some nutrients come from water changes, and the hard minerals are primarily in the GH (calcium and magnesium). Fish food will provide the others, but this depends upon the fish load and feeding, plus the plant species.

Byron.

Okay so I will need root tabs for the sword and liquid fertilizer for the wisteria. Any brands that are good or do they generally all work about the same?

Okay so I will need root tabs for the sword and liquid fertilizer for the wisteria. Any brands that are good or do they generally all work about the same?

The available products are in some cases vastly different. What you generally want is one that provides all the nutrients aquatic plants require. In a low-tech or natural planted tank, one that primarily uses natural processes with low to moderate lighting, this is the best option. Some nutrients are required in very minimal amounts, and it is possible to cause problems for the plants, and algae, with too much of something as well as toolittle of something.

I use Seachem's "Flourish" line of products. The complete liquid is Flourish Comprehensive Supplement for the Planted Aquarium, and the substrate is called Flourish Tabs. Both of these are concentrated so you use very little and a small bottle/package will last months. Another good liquid is Brightwell Aquatics' FlorinMulti. I don't think they make tabs; they have plant substrates but in my experience these are not helpful.

Thanks for the response. I will look for some seachem fertilizer next time I am out as I have seen that sold near me before. I also forgot to say that I do have a planted tank substrate under my normal substrate. With this substrate would using root tabs be over kill?

Thanks for the response. I will look for some seachem fertilizer next time I am out as I have seen that sold near me before. I also forgot to say that I do have a planted tank substrate under my normal substrate. With this substrate would using root tabs be over kill?

It depends upon the substrate. The only one I have tried is Seachem's Flourite, and it is frankly a waste of money; it does need liquid and substrate tabs, as does Eco-complete. The other products like ADA I have never tried.

Generally speaking, these so-called enriched plant substrates are unnecessary at best, and problematic at worst. One of the issues with the Flourite I used was its sharpness; my cories had to be removed as it did significant and serious damage to their mouths and barbels (they recovered over play sand). Thee substrates do give out, if they have any nutrients in them to begin with, and after a year you might as well have play sand for all the value there is.

The non-substrate rooted plants like your Anubias will obviously not derive any benefit from an enriched substrate. The Wisteria, minimal benefit as stem plants pull nutrients from the water via leaves and roots. The sword might benefit, but only if the substrate actually releases nutrients to begin with.

I can't remember what I used but just to be sure along with liquid fertilizer I picked up some root tabs to place around my sword plant.

I agree with everything Byron has posted. I will add that Fish food and fish waste are excellent fertilizers in the planted tank. As these waste products decompose to produce fertilizer, the plants use these nutrients to grow and help purify the water. However, plants will benefit from modest additional fertilizer. But you may find as I have that you can use half (or less) of the recommended dosing and have very good plant growth with less chemical additives.
I think a lot of planted tank enthusiasts push their plants with excess ferts for faster growth. For me. it's a fish tank with plants and I'm looking for healthy plants, but not necessarily rapid growth.
Another aspect is light. You may initially fight an algae bloom as you get your photo period dialed in and nutrients in balance.

Good luck with your planted tank!

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back