Transferring Tanks, Some Issues/questions

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

cukrk198392

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
First off, Hello all!

My name is Kyle, I've come to this site a number of times when I've had questions, and usually could find the answers... so never needed to post. However, I think I've made a mistake so I would like to ask some questions and perhaps get some advice 

Recently (a week ago), I upgraded to a 38 gallon tank from a 16 gallon tank. I saw that my fish were seemingly a little cramped, and I felt they could use more room to swim. Nevertheless, I got a new tank and put it together quite quickly. I first took a few gallons of water out of my old tank and poured the water into the new one. I then scooped up all of the gravel from the old tank and spread it across the new one. After that, I started filling the tank with more water, using as much of the original tank water as I could. I then put the decorations (some old, some new) in, and then I put the fish in. I then took a break to put together the cover of the tank and the filter. After that was all set up, I finished filling the tank with water and then set up the heater and inserted the filter. 

Here's where I think I went wrong (I should have done the research beforehand, I know, but the tank was kind of a spur-of-the-moment decision and I got excited). Nevertheless, I didn't use the old filter media (and I've found out now that I should have). When I started to read up on it, it was too late. I also added fish too soon. So now, a week later, the water is starting to cloud up (almost looks dusty), and I know this is a bacteria bloom. It started probably two days ago, but it doesn't look any worse than it did then. I tested the water levels and everything seems to be okay, all the fish are surviving thus far. I assume using some of the old decorations and the old gravel must have helped somewhat, right? 

Now I want to ask, based on what I've said, is my tank cycling basically from scratch, or is this kind of thing to be expected when transferring tanks? If it is cycling, is there anything I can do to speed up the process, or make it less detrimental to the fish? If it isn't cycling and just experiencing a to-be-expected bacteria bloom, when should I expect it to clear up?

Now I know I made a couple of mistakes here: not using old filter media; and introducing new fish (long before the water was cloudy, I must say). So I'm asking for any advice, or if there is immediate action I should/can take? Or do I just wait it out? I have no doubt my tank is experiencing a bacteria bloom... I'm just wondering if it is going through a full blown cycle or not, and what I should/could do in either case. 

Sounds like it's cycling.keep an eye on fish and do more water changes.one of the experienced guys will give you a full explanation soon.
It will disappear.

Can you post the exact numbers from your tests, please?

Nitrate: Approximately 30-40 ppm (mg/L)
Nitrite: Between 1.0 and 3.0... Probably around 2.0 ppm (mg/L) ... had to use a test strip for this b/c I ran out of individual testing kit.
Ammonia: Around 2.0 ppm (mg/L)

Nothing too concerning, right? The tank has been running for about 8 days. 

Would purchasing bacteria help? If so, I will order some ASAP and expedite it. I would like to make sure all my fish make it, I've got quite the eclectic community and I'm very proud of it :)

cukrk198392 said:
Nitrate: Approximately 30-40 ppm (mg/L)
Nitrite: Between 1.0 and 3.0... Probably around 2.0 ppm (mg/L) ... had to use a test strip for this b/c I ran out of individual testing kit.
Ammonia: Around 2.0 ppm (mg/L)

Nothing too concerning, right? The tank has been running for about 8 days. 

Would purchasing bacteria help? If so, I will order some ASAP and expedite it. I would like to make sure all my fish make it, I've got quite the eclectic community and I'm very proud of it
smile.png

First thing that hit me was the ammonia at 2.0 ppm.  I would suggest a water change of about 50% as soon as you can.  Make sure the new water is the same temp and dechlorinated.

How are the fish acting right now?

What type of test kit are you using?  As I am sure you know, the test strips are inaccurate and do not provide reliable readings.  If you are using a liquid test kit, such as the API  Freshwater Master, (and I am reading your post correctly that you ran out of some of the testing solution) how long have you had it and what is the expiration date?

Fish are all acting fine.

I've had the liquid testing kits for maybe 1.5 years, but didn't use them much after my first tank cycled. I have plenty of the Ammonia and Nitrate testing kits, but I realize I never had a Nitrite one because when I originally purchased it all, my local store didn't have any in stock. By the time they did, everything had cycled. The brand for what I do have is API and the expiration is 2018. 

I do realize the test strips are inaccurate, but for the sake of responding I used one so you'd have an idea. I went today to the pet store and they didn't have a Nitrite test, again. However, there is a pet store near my place of work, so I plan on stopping in there and picking one up.

I'm doing a water change now. 

Ok, sounds like you are on the right track then.  Keep up the readings for now and if you get a chance, you can read through one of the other threads to give you an idea of what you may be up against - My boy's fish are dying + Fish In Cycling

Don't let the title of the first one scare you off. There is a lot of good information in both of the threads.

Thank you for the links, I read through them both. All of my fish seem to be doing fine. I did a water change between 40 and 50%, I added de-chlorinator when all the new water was added. I also ran back to the pet store and purchased Fluval Bacteria; in the very least it should speed up the cycling process, and it doesn't look to cause any harm. It also has great reviews... thought it would be worth a try. I almost purchased bacteria that was for saltwater. In fact, I did, but exchanged it for the Fluval bacteria when I realized the difference. 

Had I used the one for salt water, would it cause harm? I'd imagine the bacteria is the same, right? The stuff I almost used was called Bio-Spira, from Instant Ocean. It was a close call!!! 

It could cause some issues depending on your fish and whether or not they can handle the salinity.  Best bet is to stay away from that...

BiggTexx said:
It could cause some issues depending on your fish and whether or not they can handle the salinity.  Best bet is to stay away from that...
Will do, Thanks for your help!

Those levels of ammonia and nitrite are extremely worrying, and could be causing serious issues with your fish (fish have evolved not to look or act sick in all but the most extreme cases, so as not to attract predators).

As you're basically in a fish-in cycle now, the best advice I can give you is to follow TwoTankAmin's threads here; http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/433769-rescuing-a-fish-in-cycle-gone-wild-part-i/    http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/433778-rescuing-a-fish-in-cycle-gone-wild-part-il/

TTA is our forum cycle expert, and has written the best advice for you to follow.

just on a side note ... cos you've got the best advice and links and stuff already... but I noticed you said you dechlorinated after you'd added all the water? Is the filter internal and sat in this fresh undechlorinated water? because if it is and your water contains bacteria killing stuff (heavy metals etc) then your gonna be cycling for ever in my opinion.

This is all based on if's and maybe's as I can't see you tank/set up etc but if the filter is internal then it's best to either remove the filter while you refill and then re-add it after you've added dechlorinator or dechlorinate the water before you add it - only works if your re-adding by buckets of course.

If the filter media is in an external filter or in a filter that's not in contact with fresh undechlorinated water then your fine but I just wanted to point it out just in case
smile.png

EDIT

Ahh just remembered to say .. if your adding dechlorinator at the end remember you need to add enough dechlorinator for the entire tank not just for the amount of water changed. I did this once (until someone told me!) and I ended up with a mini cycle. I don't want anyone else to got through the same problem x

Akasha72 said:
just on a side note ... cos you've got the best advice and links and stuff already... but I noticed you said you dechlorinated after you'd added all the water? Is the filter internal and sat in this fresh undechlorinated water? because if it is and your water contains bacteria killing stuff (heavy metals etc) then your gonna be cycling for ever in my opinion.

This is all based on if's and maybe's as I can't see you tank/set up etc but if the filter is internal then it's best to either remove the filter while you refill and then re-add it after you've added dechlorinator or dechlorinate the water before you add it - only works if your re-adding by buckets of course.

If the filter media is in an external filter or in a filter that's not in contact with fresh undechlorinated water then your fine but I just wanted to point it out just in case :)

EDIT

Ahh just remembered to say .. if your adding dechlorinator at the end remember you need to add enough dechlorinator for the entire tank not just for the amount of water changed. I did this once (until someone told me!) and I ended up with a mini cycle. I don't want anyone else to got through the same problem x
I was sure to remove the filter completely (with it still partially full of water) before the water change, I also added enough de-chlorinator for the entire tank, not just the new water. I used a 2-gallon bucket and was sure to add de-chlorinator to each bucket, then I added to the entire tank, the rest of what was needed for 38 gallons.

great stuff ... I just wanted to check in case that was something you'd missed :D

I made a similar mistake years back, I managed to salvage everything by testing the water twice a day and 20% water change when needed for about a month, it was hard work but I saved all the fish. Don't panic,just keep an eye on your water paramiters and act accordingly, you'll be fine
yes.gif

Most reactions

trending

Back