Top o' the morning to you

conorandlucy

Reaction score
My wife and i are new to tropical fish and desperately need some help!

We have had the tank about a month now and have had the water tested st our local garden centre twice. Both times they said the ammonia and nitrite were very high. I have done a 75% water change to try and bring this down.

The water filter we have is one of the sponge filters which i feel to be honest is not much good.

We have 2 opaline Gouramis 2 pearl gouramis 3 plats 4 male guppies and 1 algae eater.

Can the filter be changed for a bigger one?

Welcome to the forums :hi:

Sounds like your tank is not cycled. Go to the begginers forum and read the pinned posts there. If you ask any questions in that forum, and I reccomend you do, include as much info as possible, tank size, water perameters (amonia/nitrIte/nitrAte) fish and when they were introduced, plants, filter type and make, if its heated and anything else you feel may be important.

Jon

Hi welcome to fish forums :thumbs:

Sure you can change your filter,but if you do either run your new one and old one for a bit together, or take the sponge out of your old one and put it in the new one inbetween the new sponges,thats what I've read on here,perhaps someone else can explain better.

Hope it all works out for you :nod:

>>> Can the filter be changed for a bigger one?

Sounds like a good idea. If you can tell us a bit more about your tank, it's size etc., we will be better able to help.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back