Tons Of Questions!

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Dayton Ohio! And wow, thanks for all that help!

You're very welcome :)

As you're in the US and I'm in the UK, I won't try and recommend any brands, but we have plenty of Americans on here who will be able to advise you :)

I did a real quick search for external canister filters and the biggest size I could find was one for a 70g tank.. anyone got advice on where to look for stuff? (In the states :p) but thanks for all the help again!

Do you want active catfish, or the more sedentary variety?

If you want active, corydoras are about as active as catfish can get! They are MUCH smaller than you are hoping for growing from 1 inch (pygmy/dwarf) up to about 3 inches. However, the great thing about them is their shoaling tendancy, especially in such a large tank. You could get a dozen or so of the larger species, bronze or trillineatus, and they will give you a great deal of bottom activity. You could also go with the "emerald green" corydora (which is technically a different genus, but they look like a corydora on steriods) and go with them.

Another option would be to get multiple shoals of corydoras. They are truly great, active fish. And you would have plenty of upper level space in the tank to get some other fish.

Bronze corydoras:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3513/3265993632_186e944f90_z.jpg

Emerald green corydoras (or Bronchis splendens):
emerald-catfish-profile.jpg

If you have your heart set on larger catfish, pictus cats are nice. They grow up to about 5 inches.
2556362450_1bebd418ea_z.jpg

In my opinion, they aren't nearly as active or interesting as the corys, but that might just be me.

Then there are some varieties of plecos that you could have as well. Be careful if you intend to get a pleco though, as some can get too large for your tank.

I really liked the pictus, and the striped talking catfish..

Are there any cats that you guys can think of off the top of your head that will get to a maximum of 8-9"?

And as for my filter.. Should I get like 2 external canister filter's that are good for say a 70gallon tank?

Chocolate Zebra plecos and sailfin plecos get to about 5 inches long, but they aren't rated for any tank smaller than 4 feet. I doubt that a 9 inch catfish would be suited to a 4 foot tank. It might fit, but it would be a bit of a squeeze. I'd stick to more individuals who are smaller in stature. A lot of cats will have a tendency to hide, so you probably wouldn't see the larger one that often anyway.

Chocolate Zebra plecos and sailfin plecos get to about 5 inches long, but they aren't rated for any tank smaller than 4 feet. I doubt that a 9 inch catfish would be suited to a 4 foot tank. It might fit, but it would be a bit of a squeeze. I'd stick to more individuals who are smaller in stature. A lot of cats will have a tendency to hide, so you probably wouldn't see the larger one that often anyway.

Alrighty. Thank you. I really appreciate all the help you've given and everyone else who's helped me out!

Sooooooo my plan...... Please tell me yes, no, and why... and if you could change something, what would you do?

Filter: External Canister Filter.. Can someone recommend a specific one? Or Tell me what exactly I should be looking for? Should I get one that is good for 110 gallons? Or should I get 2 that are good for up to 55 gallons? Say.... 2 of these... http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752357&lmdn=Fish+Filtration+%26amp%3B+Circulation ...

"Floor?": Not sure what you want to call this.. the bottom of the tank.. idk.. But since I'm after catfish, I planned on getting sand.. If I go get some bags of sand from wal mart for a childs play set, will that be okay? I read somewhere on here it was.. Also, how tall would you recommend the sand layer to be? 2-3 inches? You tell me..

Lighting: My tank came with a light... Here's a picture of it.. Is this all I'll need?
2011-11-21_14-52-24_738.jpg

Heater: Do you only need heaters for specific fish? Or do I need one? And if so.. I read you want about 5 watts to every US gallon.. so I'd need about 550 watts... Should I get 2 heaters that are good for 200 watts, or 300 watts?

My plan as far as fish are a couple pictus', maybe a couple striped talking (raphael) catfish, maybe a chocolate zebra pleco, maybe a Bala shark..
Those are just some of my ideas.. Maybe you guys could tell me yes or no to some of those, and possibly some other fish.. Obviously those are all bottom dwellers, could you guys tell me some of your favorite "middle dwellers" (if that's what you call them), and "top dwellers"..

I really appreciate all the help you guys are giving me.. I'm sure some of you are annoyed by my questions, as they're probably stupid questions to you, but I apologize.. I know nothing about keeping an aquarium so i'm here to learn..

You'll need a heater, yes, and 2 of them is good, cause there will be back up if one breaks.

Raphael catfish will top off at the size you'd like, 8-9 inches, and they'll be fine in the 4 foot long tan. Your tank is too small for bala sharks, however.

You'll want some larger mid dwellers, as pictus and raphael cats will eat anything they can fit in their mouth, so you can't trust them with really small fish. about 3 inches with a wider body is about as small as you'll want to safely go.

Most play sand is indeed safe for the bottom of the tank.

If you want big fish, your tank is large enough for quite a few different types of American cichlids, such as oscars. They can be aggressive, however, so finding other tank mates for them can be a challenge, but they won't bother your catfish. Take a look at the new world cichlid forums if that suits your fancy.

You could also try for some larger community fish, which aren't so aggressive, such as rainbowfish, silver dollars, and angelfish.

Don't worry so much about annoying us, I'm personally only annoyed when people resist the advice we give :good: just ask away, don't get mad if you don't like what you hear :lol:

You'll need a heater, yes, and 2 of them is good, cause there will be back up if one breaks.

Raphael catfish will top off at the size you'd like, 8-9 inches, and they'll be fine in the 4 foot long tan. Your tank is too small for bala sharks, however.

You'll want some larger mid dwellers, as pictus and raphael cats will eat anything they can fit in their mouth, so you can't trust them with really small fish. about 3 inches with a wider body is about as small as you'll want to safely go.

Most play sand is indeed safe for the bottom of the tank.

If you want big fish, your tank is large enough for quite a few different types of American cichlids, such as oscars. They can be aggressive, however, so finding other tank mates for them can be a challenge, but they won't bother your catfish. Take a look at the new world cichlid forums if that suits your fancy.

You could also try for some larger community fish, which aren't so aggressive, such as rainbowfish, silver dollars, and angelfish.

Don't worry so much about annoying us, I'm personally only annoyed when people resist the advice we give :good: just ask away, don't get mad if you don't like what you hear :lol:

Thank you VERRRY much for your help.. Do you have any answers to my questions about a filter?

unfortunately, all my filters are the hang-on-back variety, so my help wouldn't be useful in regards to a canister filter. However, over filtration is not a bad thing, and I think you'd be perfect if you got 2 of the 70 gallon filters, you'd be set, but you might want to ask somebody who has more knowledge on that filtration variety.

Don't worry about the questions. We enjoy helping folks trying to learn.

Heaters, two is generally better than one. That way if one breaks you have a backup and it isn't a huge emergency. The last thing you want is for your heater to go on the fritz when you can't replace it for whatever reason.

Bala sharks would be a bad idea. First, they require numbers as they are shoaling species. Second, they get HUGE (up to 14 inches) and they are swift swimmers, so they need A LOT of space to swim. Personally, I don't think they should even be in the aquarium trade, unless the person has a 12 foot long tank, minimum length that is accepted by some folks is 6 feet, others is 8 feet.

I don't know about the specific plecs you are mentioning and how they get along, but I do know that they are poop machines. While sand is a good idea for them, the poop will just sit on the surface, so you will want a powerhead or something directed along the bottom to move it from just sitting there until you vac. Also, you will need to thoroughly rinse out your filter media each week to keep it clear of clogs.

As far as fish to go with them, you could look into some of the larger rainbowfish. They are good swimmers and big enough that the plecs won't think of them as treats. Generally you want to keep your fish as close to the same size as possible. Another option would be some large South American cichlids. I am no expert on these guys, others can speak more about this, but you might want to consider severum (gold is a good size one that wouldn't be too big at about 8 inches). Jack Dempsey would be another option at 10 inches, although it might be a little more agressive. Maybe a tiger oscar at 12 inches. These are lazy swimmers by comparison to the Bala Shark, and therefore don't need the extra space the bala needs. Also, they can be kept in much smaller numbers, whereas the balas require 6 or more, the oscars are happy in 3 or so. These are generally placid enough to go with the plecos. If you get the plecos and cichlids young try to get them at about the same size and let them grow up together. Don't be fooled by the initial size of them and get too many though. They will grow and you won't want too many when they are large.

Don't worry about the questions. We enjoy helping folks trying to learn.

Heaters, two is generally better than one. That way if one breaks you have a backup and it isn't a huge emergency. The last thing you want is for your heater to go on the fritz when you can't replace it for whatever reason.

Bala sharks would be a bad idea. First, they require numbers as they are shoaling species. Second, they get HUGE (up to 14 inches) and they are swift swimmers, so they need A LOT of space to swim. Personally, I don't think they should even be in the aquarium trade, unless the person has a 12 foot long tank, minimum length that is accepted by some folks is 6 feet, others is 8 feet.

I don't know about the specific plecs you are mentioning and how they get along, but I do know that they are poop machines. While sand is a good idea for them, the poop will just sit on the surface, so you will want a powerhead or something directed along the bottom to move it from just sitting there until you vac. Also, you will need to thoroughly rinse out your filter media each week to keep it clear of clogs.

As far as fish to go with them, you could look into some of the larger rainbowfish. They are good swimmers and big enough that the plecs won't think of them as treats. Generally you want to keep your fish as close to the same size as possible. Another option would be some large South American cichlids. I am no expert on these guys, others can speak more about this, but you might want to consider severum (gold is a good size one that wouldn't be too big at about 8 inches). Jack Dempsey would be another option at 10 inches, although it might be a little more agressive. Maybe a tiger oscar at 12 inches. These are lazy swimmers by comparison to the Bala Shark, and therefore don't need the extra space the bala needs. Also, they can be kept in much smaller numbers, whereas the balas require 6 or more, the oscars are happy in 3 or so. These are generally placid enough to go with the plecos. If you get the plecos and cichlids young try to get them at about the same size and let them grow up together. Don't be fooled by the initial size of them and get too many though. They will grow and you won't want too many when they are large.

Thank you once again! You've been helping me a ton!
Still looking for some filter help /:

Would perhaps 2 of these be good? http://www.amazon.com/Hagen-A212-Fluval-External-Filter/dp/B005QRDDWY/ref=pd_sim_sbs_petsupplies_2

the oscars are happy in 3 or so.
I dunno about that. Oscars tend to be happy alone or in a mated pair. All I could see is a bunch of oscars fighting to the death or killing the odd one out if two of them get together

That makes sense. Like I said, cichlids in general aren't my area of expertise. ;)

Heater question.. You guys stated I should get 2 heaters.. Should I have them both running at the same time? Or did you guys mean have one put away for back up incase the other one fails?

Filter question.. Would perhaps 2 of these be good? http://www.amazon.com/Hagen-A212-Fluval-External-Filter/dp/B005QRDDWY/ref=pd_sim_sbs_petsupplies_2

It would be best to have them both running, one on each end of the tank. If you need 500W of heater, get 2 300W heaters. It is better to have heaters working below their max capacity than running at max all the time. This would give you some overhead, and it would also give you a little cushion should one break. (That's what I meant. I can't speak for onidrase, but I assume that is what he meant.)

Sorry to not have addressed your filter question. I am a HOB man. :D

Most reactions

Back