Third Day Of Fishless Cycle.

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

84F is 26.6 c I've been running it at temps of 28-29c are we confusing temps here?
With an uptake in P/H adding bicarbonate, how easy is this to drop back to a normal p/h once the cycle has finished? Or would the 80-90% water change at the end fix this?

Sorry lock man juSt re read that the last large water change will drop the Ph.
Is there any way of adding the bicarbonate that is judged or is it simply trial and error until you hit the desired Ph?

84F is 26.6 c I've been running it at temps of 28-29c are we confusing temps here?
With an uptake in P/H adding bicarbonate, how easy is this to drop back to a normal p/h once the cycle has finished? Or would the 80-90% water change at the end fix this?

84 F is 28.88C. So, you are right where you need to be.

pH and drop in sodium is necessary for the fish at the end, so a COMPLETE water change is necessary. Take it ALL the way down to the substrate. Then refill. This will eliminate the nitrates, sodium, correct the pH, etc. It does it all, including "quickly" adjusting the temperature as well.

Honestly, I don't think that the pH would go up any higher than 8.2-8.4 even if you used the whole box... but that's not very small. I'd add about 1 teaspoon (5ml) for every 5 gallons (~20L). Test the pH and repeat as necessary.

This is what I love about this forum,even though I'm working a night shift and it's 2.44am here there are still people able to answer questions from across the pond. Thanks for the tip about sodium dosage that's a big help.

Its only 9:45 here and I'm watching (American) football. It's bowl season for big-time colleges. Right now its the Sugar Bowl... Louisville University versus University of Florida.
winner.gif

No problem... glad to help. ;-) When I was cycling my tank, it was always helpful to have someone who had been there in the past and could help while away the time. Cycling does give you a chance to change your mind about 12 times regarding your potential stocking, looking into real plants, and generally get a feel for the entire process. And while its still a little frustrating at times staring at any empty tank, its less unnerving knowing that any mistakes only cost you time. ;-)

There's nothing wrong with American football I used to watch it myself.
I want live plants in my tank definitely, is there a certain substrate that is needed ie sand or gravel?
And as for stocking there are so many fish that have been on and off my list haha,illmake a final decision once I'm cycled: )

There's nothing wrong with American football I used to watch it myself.
I want live plants in my tank definitely, is there a certain substrate that is needed ie sand or gravel?
And as for stocking there are so many fish that have been on and off my list haha,illmake a final decision once I'm cycled: )

Don't know why that posted twice! :S

Good to see that you've been in the very capable hands of Mr Eagles, who, I have to say, has given you excellent advice.

But why do they call it Football? They don't kick the ball.

Hard to know why its called "foot"ball. The origins go back over 100 years, and its based (very loosely now) on rugby. I don't know enough about rugby to say, but if I'm not mistaken, you can't kick the ball at all in rugby? American "foot"ball does have specialized players whose sole job on the team is kicking. We have a placekicker, who does "kickoffs" and Field goals. And a Punter, who kicks the ball much in the same way as Australian rules football players do - in fact, several Australian rules football players have come over to play American football as punters.

As far as the substrate goes, sand or gravel works. If you aren't going to be going heavily planted, but rather just 'having a few plants', as I do... anything works. I use both sand and flourite (a planting medium). But, the planting medium is working its way up and is a bit unsightly. I also have a pure sand substrate. The plants you choose will really determine that, but if you stick to the least demanding plants, substrate is completely irrelevant. It just needs to look nice and be heavy enough to hold down some plants.

Some plants don't do well when planted in the substrate (java fern, anubias, etc.). They need to have their rhizomes exposed to the water and water movement. In fact, burying that will result in it rotting.

In a number of shops in the UK, you can get java fern and anubias which are pre-attached to bogwood, which makes life a helluva lot easier.

I have personally always used a planting medium, although I do like a decent amount of plants in my tanks.

You can kick the ball in rugby, btw, Eagles. Personally, I don't really like either Rugby, American Football or Aussie Rules, although in fairness, some of the punch-ups in Aussie Rules look quite fun. For me, it's gotta be proper football. Kick the ball with your foot. Job done. Goodnight.

Very true.

You can also tie them on with sewing thread - use a color that blends well, like brown. They will eventually attach themselves. Also, you can superglue them to rocks (make sure the rock is well dried before trying that though).

I've got java fern that has divided from the original plant - and I've just tied them on to the wood and decor. They look great. One of my anubias bloomed in the last few months, which was also very exciting. No ferts, no CO2, just water, light and fish poo. ;-)

Yeah. I never dreamed it would happen, but one day I saw it sending up a flower stem. I was beside myself and actually called my wife in to see it. Then, I called my dad to come see it (He takes care of the tank when I'm on vacation or away from home for work.) He's a gardener as I am, but never did the real plants thing in an aquarium. I figured, if I could grow plants outside, I might as well try inside the aquarium. Its been very successful, and I think that's a major reason I've been able to have panda corydoras spawning (and fry surviving to adulthood!).

Hi, seems I have missed a bit of banter haha,I uses to play rugby in high school, wasn't the beSt but it was an experience, I prefer normal football now or as the americans say "soccer " ;p even though my team Coventry city are now in the worst position than they have ever been,and that's saying a lot as they are one of the oldest clubs in the country!.
Back to the important stuff haha,I have seen live plants attached to bog wood and now I know why,I would like a variety of different plants, long flowing grasses which cover some of the water surface areaid sized for the mid ground area and small sizes plants for the foreground so they give a sense of depth and scale,what would you recommend dor the starter in each category.
I hear annubias all the time so i presume its readily availavle?
if tou could suggest latin namea for me i can research them :)

Any of the cryptocorynes would work - they come in a variety of heights...

As far as the front cover for the flowing grasses, I'm not sure. What's your lighting like?

I just have the standard sun glo tube that came with the tank? It is quite bright but nothing special.
It's now the end of the fourth day of much cycle, the ammonia has dropped to 0.25-0.50 so its going in the right direction but the milky water is still quite extreme,i need to add that i didnt wash my gravel before adding to my tank!? But I wouldn't think that this would be why it is milky,I'm sure it's bacterial, do I just bite my lip and wait it out?
I read that one guy had this problem for weeks until he did a complete water change,I just think I need to let it do it's work?

Most reactions

Back