Thinking of getting pet mice

elephantnose3334

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Saw them at a pet shop today. I might want to adopt two female mice when I move out of my parents' house. I have a care guide from the pet shop and some of it is not good information. How will I prepare for getting pet mice? Am I ready to adopt them yet?

You don't want mice, they are messy and gross. Rats are cleaner and use a litter tray, mice dribble pee everywhere they go.

I have kept mice in wooden cages and glass aquariums, glass is cleaner and lasts longer. Mice and rats chew wood to wear their teeth down and a glass tank can't be eaten. You will need to add a few bits of wood to their tank for them to chew on.

Both mice and rats eat grains, fruit n vegetables, and a small amount of meat (cooked, not raw). We used birds seed, cereal and mouse/ rat pellets as their staple food. Each day they got fruit and veges, and a few times a week they got a piece of cooked meat (beef from a steak pie or something like that). They can also have a treat once a week, something like pizza crust or icecream but not all the time.

They use a water bottle that can be hung on the inside of the aquarium.

We had sawdust or wood shavings on the bottom and a cardboard box with tissues for their nest. Each week you empty the sawdust/ wood shavings and throw it on the garden or in the bin. Wash the tank with warm soapy water and rinse out under tap water. Put some new sawdust on the bottom and clean the nest if needed.

Have a metal flywire cover on top of the aquarium to let air in but stop them getting out. Let them out each day for an hour or so to wander around and get some fresh air and exercise. A mouse/ rat wheel should be in the cage for them too so they can exercise throughout the day and night.

Rats come in a range of colours from white/ albino, brown, black, wild coloured and hooded (black head, white body). Mice come in a range of similar colours but not normally hooded.

Having kept both as pets at home and in the shop, rats are actually nicer and make better pets. People think gross, rats, but domestic rats that are handled regularly (daily) are actually lovely animals. We had parents come in with kids all the time. the kids wanted a rat or mouse. We let them handle both to see which they prefered. Most went for the rats. Parents would take one look and go gross, a rat. But then they would touch them and pat them and hold them, and within about 5 minutes they were getting a rat.

The only time I have ever been bitten by a rat was when I went to pick up the female shop rat and she bit me. About 5 minutes later she gave birth, so it was justified. She was in labour and gave birth to about 10 young. Customers were standing around watching. She never bit me again after that, she just wanted peace to give birth in peace and quiet.

Mice can live for around 18 months to 2 years, sometimes a little longer but not much. Rats can live for 2-3 years.

Gerbils are a good alternative. They are not as large as rats and have furry tails. They can be quite noisy but they are pretty clean and don’t need cleaning out more than once every 2-3 weeks. They are very keen in chewing things so any toilet roll tubes, left over packing paper etc get put in their cage and there’s always some wood of some kind in there. They can be kept in an aquarium with a cage topper. They tend to choose one area as their toilet.

General gerbil muesli as a staple, fresh veg such as broccoli is good, a berry or two every now and again, and they go crazy for one or two treats a day called Niblots here in UK. They are little crunchy parcels filled with fruit flavour gel.

Not all mice are friendly, they can be nippy when scared, escape incredibly easily because they can get through tiny holes and gaps, and they do actually urinate as they walk, they don't control their pee and poop as rats can, so they're less hygenic. Cute, but short lived, usually take a long time to hand tame, especially if you're just buying them from a store, then again, you really have to consider enclosure because of the escaping issue, because once they're out, it's a nightmare, a wish and a prayer to find them again.

In answer, no, you're certainly not ready to adopt. All the advice I gave you that my parents gave us, still stands, and applies with any living creature.

Do you thoroughly know and understand the animals requirements? (you've already said no to this, that you've only seen the store info and doesn't seem reliable)

Do you have the proper and needed enclosure and items for them ready? (MUST be ready before even considering getting the pet).

Can you commit the amount of daily/weekly/extra care the animal needs, for it's entire lifetime?

What are the costs going to be? Both to buy the pet, the habitat, any needed items like toys/grooming/leads and harnesses (for dogs/cats), ongoing food and bedding costs, vet care?

If the answer to any of the above is no, then the answer is no, and we either had to fix whatever the issue was (such as saving up for or making the proper enclosure first), or the answer would be no, we can't give what the animal needs for the lifetime of the animal, so we can't get it, not fair to the animal in question.

My parents were animal mad, we took in a lot of waifs and strays, and I was spoiled and able to have a lot of pets as a result. I kept the usual rats, rabbits, guinea pigs, hamsters etc as a kid, and grew up with dogs, cats, birds and fish.

But I was also a horse mad little girl, as many are, and read as much as I could about them. I dearly wanted one! Parents couldn't afford one, but they did set aside time and money for my dad to take me to the riding stables every weekend, so I could have riding lessons, or spend a whole day there helping out, mucking out, cleaning tack etc. i got my horse fix, and though I really wanted a horse of my own, I had no real idea of the costs, understood when my parents said no, but explained why, and as an adult who does understand the incredible costs, and the amount of time and work involved in owning a horse, especially if you don't own land yourself.... I'm glad they did say no, now! lol.

If this is a passing whim, because you saw some cute mice, then be honest with yourself about whether you really want another pet at all, and work through the above questions.

Not all mice are friendly, they can be nippy when scared, escape incredibly easily because they can get through tiny holes and gaps, and they do actually urinate as they walk, they don't control their pee and poop as rats can, so they're less hygenic. Cute, but short lived, usually take a long time to hand tame, especially if you're just buying them from a store, then again, you really have to consider enclosure because of the escaping issue, because once they're out, it's a nightmare, a wish and a prayer to find them again.

In answer, no, you're certainly not ready to adopt. All the advice I gave you that my parents gave us, still stands, and applies with any living creature.

Do you thoroughly know and understand the animals requirements? (you've already said no to this, that you've only seen the store info and doesn't seem reliable)

Do you have the proper and needed enclosure and items for them ready? (MUST be ready before even considering getting the pet).

Can you commit the amount of daily/weekly/extra care the animal needs, for it's entire lifetime?

What are the costs going to be? Both to buy the pet, the habitat, any needed items like toys/grooming/leads and harnesses (for dogs/cats), ongoing food and bedding costs, vet care?

If the answer to any of the above is no, then the answer is no, and we either had to fix whatever the issue was (such as saving up for or making the proper enclosure first), or the answer would be no, we can't give what the animal needs for the lifetime of the animal, so we can't get it, not fair to the animal in question.

My parents were animal mad, we took in a lot of waifs and strays, and I was spoiled and able to have a lot of pets as a result. I kept the usual rats, rabbits, guinea pigs, hamsters etc as a kid, and grew up with dogs, cats, birds and fish.

But I was also a horse mad little girl, as many are, and read as much as I could about them. I dearly wanted one! Parents couldn't afford one, but they did set aside time and money for my dad to take me to the riding stables every weekend, so I could have riding lessons, or spend a whole day there helping out, mucking out, cleaning tack etc. i got my horse fix, and though I really wanted a horse of my own, I had no real idea of the costs, understood when my parents said no, but explained why, and as an adult who does understand the incredible costs, and the amount of time and work involved in owning a horse, especially if you don't own land yourself.... I'm glad they did say no, now! lol.

If this is a passing whim, because you saw some cute mice, then be honest with yourself about whether you really want another pet at all, and work through the above questions.
I'm currently in the process of doing research about caring for mice. But that adoption will happen probably after I move out from my parents' home and getting my own property.

Mice are kind of like livebearers. If you have a male and female, you will have a whole lot of babies. If you have the heart for it, you can sell the babies to reptile owners to feed to their pets.

Speaking from experience, all three of our kids kept mice. Mice can be quite endearing but as others have said they can be smelly, and occasionally nippy. If they escape you can have real difficulties re-acquiring them due to their small size.

We have also kept rats. In my opinion rats are the better choice. They are still small but large enough they can be packed around the house with you, if they go into a hole or space they come out because they want to be with you,, and eat your food. They crave your attention, and they are very smart.

You will get what you want in the end, I don't know about Australia but if a rodent, especially a mouse or rat, gets loose in an apartment block and it is yours you could run into a large number of difficulties and cost because most places will not accept mice or rats running through the building. Many years ago my father had to tear out the drywall to get a hamster I owned out of the wall.

Just some considerations.

@elephantnose3334 what pets do you currently have, besides the aquariums? You mentioned dogs before, do you still have those?

While it's fun to have lots of pets, try to be cautious and be sure before you commit to actually getting an animal. You'll have a lot to do and learn when you first get your own place anyway, animals are also expensive to maintain and keep, and you'll also have other expenses with rent and bills etc to get used to paying, so while there's no issue with learning about animals you'd like to keep one day, remember that there's no rush. Look after the pets you have currently, see how things go when you have your own place, and keep your lists of animals you like, ones you'd like to have one day, etc, but just don't be in a hurry to get them as soon as possible.

I love horses, can't keep a horse, they're wildly expensive and a massive time and money commitment, so it just can't happen. But I can go to stables and ride horses, and still enjoy the nice parts of being around horses, without the expense and hassle of having one of my own! I have dream lists of dogs, cats, fish and birds I'd love to keep. Some I might when the time is right, others I might never have myself, but that's okay. I will be volunteering to foster dogs soon, since I'm now in a position to do so, but I'm not in a position to get another dog of my own, since my current dog wouldn't be happy about that if I did, and I committed to her first. While I'd love a second dog, I don't want to hurt my current one, as she'd be jealous and upset, so I won't go out and get a second dog while I have her. That's the responsibility I took on when I got her 11 years ago.

I also have a parrot I got when I was 16, have now owned for a quarter of a century, and if all goes well, he'll be with me for the rest of my life, at least into my 80s, and will be written into my will so I know that if I die before he does, he'll go to someone who'll take good care of him. Some pets are a lifelong commitment, and that involves a lot of thought before making that decision.

Mice are not long lived, but as someone who has kept them, rats, hamsters, guinea pigs etc as a kid, I can say that they're not the best pet rodents, and it's still a commitment of a few years, and a decent habitat, and time for them to have nice lives. Be sure before you decide.

@elephantnose3334 what pets do you currently have, besides the aquariums? You mentioned dogs before, do you still have those?

While it's fun to have lots of pets, try to be cautious and be sure before you commit to actually getting an animal. You'll have a lot to do and learn when you first get your own place anyway, animals are also expensive to maintain and keep, and you'll also have other expenses with rent and bills etc to get used to paying, so while there's no issue with learning about animals you'd like to keep one day, remember that there's no rush. Look after the pets you have currently, see how things go when you have your own place, and keep your lists of animals you like, ones you'd like to have one day, etc, but just don't be in a hurry to get them as soon as possible.

I love horses, can't keep a horse, they're wildly expensive and a massive time and money commitment, so it just can't happen. But I can go to stables and ride horses, and still enjoy the nice parts of being around horses, without the expense and hassle of having one of my own! I have dream lists of dogs, cats, fish and birds I'd love to keep. Some I might when the time is right, others I might never have myself, but that's okay. I will be volunteering to foster dogs soon, since I'm now in a position to do so, but I'm not in a position to get another dog of my own, since my current dog wouldn't be happy about that if I did, and I committed to her first. While I'd love a second dog, I don't want to hurt my current one, as she'd be jealous and upset, so I won't go out and get a second dog while I have her. That's the responsibility I took on when I got her 11 years ago.

I also have a parrot I got when I was 16, have now owned for a quarter of a century, and if all goes well, he'll be with me for the rest of my life, at least into my 80s, and will be written into my will so I know that if I die before he does, he'll go to someone who'll take good care of him. Some pets are a lifelong commitment, and that involves a lot of thought before making that decision.

Mice are not long lived, but as someone who has kept them, rats, hamsters, guinea pigs etc as a kid, I can say that they're not the best pet rodents, and it's still a commitment of a few years, and a decent habitat, and time for them to have nice lives. Be sure before you decide.
Dogs.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back