Thinking Of Changing From Tropical Community To Mbuna Or Tanganyikan

I did the same as you, I started with tropical communtiy fish, then started an mbuna tank. I have now sold off most of teh community and am no interested only in mbuna. There's someone calling soon to pick up my last 3 gourami's then its just the denison barbs and I'm 100% malawi :good: :good: .

Drooling over Trophs at the moment, OR a big tank with lots of different Tangs :drool:

I still like the Tangs to be honest but think that the Malawi setup is better for me. I`m the kind of person where I dither and throw ideas around for a while then make a definite decision and put it into action. I guess if we all had the same tastes it`d be a boring world :look: :lol:

I`m just feeling impatient now because once I`ve made up my mind on something then I want it sorted `yesterday', not always a good quality but at least I don`t stand still on something for long :blush: :lol:
I am now itching to get this Malawi setup done and I fully understand and am practical in the sense that it`s going to be a learning curve which is likely to produce some areas of difficulties, but I`m not the sort of person who gives up easily.
I love a challenge and will happily read, research and ask advice every step of the way if necessary so hopefully fingers crossed I`ll manage to get a nice, different setup that I`m happy with B-)

kiriyama......I bet you`re itching to get your new project up and running? :lol:

Edited to ask:

I still would like to know if the plecs I currently have i.e Clown plec and 3 bn plecs would be ok in a Malawi setup? I`d really appreciate some info/advice on this one :unsure:

We all have different "tastes" in fish, for me Tangs win over Malawi every time...
  • The amazing coloured Tropheus (great in a 9+ group in a 5-foot tank)
  • The "babysitting" Juliochromis dickfeldi (very few animal species besides ourselves trust family/friend members to look after our youngsters for a while)
  • The "Sumbu Shell" Altolamprologus compressiceps (?) that kiriyama has fry from
  • Those shelll-dwellers that llok like white Lionhead Cichlids (name escapes me now, fry were on sale on here in summer)
  • The "punch above their weight" shell dwellers like A. brevis and A. ocellatus
  • The open water, sardine-like Cyprichromis (that can be mixed with non-Tanganyikan fish with a bit of caution)
  • The sand-sifting group that need bigger tanks
etc. etc.
drool.gif

I would get some Neolamprologus brichardi (Fairy Cichlids). These are pretty much the only African Cichlids I know and they are sort of like Celebes Rainbowfish :good: :good:

The Brichardis do look very nice but are pretty aggressive by all accounts. They were one of the Tangs I thought of having but it`s not as viable an option as I`d hoped :X

Does anyone have experiences of the following which are the fish I`ve seen and would like to keep when I change the setup:
Blue Zebra
Albino Zebra
Dwarf Afra
Yellow Peacock
Yellow Labs (labelled as Daktari? in MA)
Lombardoi
Fire Red Dragon
Borleyi

I like the Brichardi but TBH they are really better in a great big tank (if community) or a species tank, they can get real nasty when breeding and will take over a tank. I'm really suffering at the moment, no cash for such a long time, on DEC31 I am getting a huge cash injection to run riot, I had researched my stock, lighting, rockwork and even a really awesome if somewhat expensive 3d background, now I can get a larger tank and now I find out I will have space for an even larger tank. Basic tank, basic lighting, use the rocks I have, I am back to square one researching stock, totally different from anything I have kept before, I have also soured a female sumbu comp to replace the one I lost, you know that way your head starts swimming with all the ideas ? Hopefully I'll feel better come January :good: :lol:
The choices are much greater now because of trhe tank size, head hurts :lol:

lol but it`s great to know you can go bigger and better than originally thought though eh? B-) :lol:

The choices available can be very daunting, I feel a bit out of my depth because I really want to get the stocking right :/

At the moment I have a stack of sandstone rocks sat in my garden.....hubby half filled the boot of our X-Trail with it this afternoon so providing it`s all ok to use I`ll be cracking on with the new setup asap....yayyyy!!!

Just need to sort out the community fish, bogwood, plants and co2 kit being sold now though :X

I still would like to know if the plecs I currently have i.e Clown plec and 3 bn plecs would be ok in a Malawi setup? I`d really appreciate some info/advice on this one :unsure:

The bn should be ok if they are tank bred. I had some with my Malawis.
The Clown Plec may not be happy though. I wouldn't take the chance.

Don't want to p**s on your parade but I think sandstone is a bit of a no no, don't know if it dissolves or something, really unsure in this, sorry, I had Tufa which was quite light and pourous :unsure:
I know what you mean about being out of your depth, I have been asking way to many questions on another forum and the info is both scary and overwhelming but it's a challenge....
In a lot of the Tang tanks I have seen some types of limestone,
quote from thread "Limestone is calcareous, and is known for its ability to both harden the water and increase the pH so will have a secondary use other than just looking pretty".
Some of them using Cotswald. Again if you're unsure you can use the coral gravel covered with sand and some coral gravel in the filter :good:
Looking forward to seeing all your new fishes :good:

I think I may have to look at putting my Clown plec into my 35L tank instead then, it`s just as well he`s only small :unsure:

I keep finding differing opinions on Sandstone and Limestone....some sites say Sandstone is ok but Limestone isn`t and vice versa.....my bloody head is spinning!! :X :X :lol:

I think I`m going to have to pay a visit to my local B&Q tomorrow to see what they have, because the last thing I want to do is to set the tank up one way to find out that it`s really wrong and may put the fish` health at risk :S

Either that or I`m just going to have to bite the bullet and opt for some 25kg sacks of Ocean Rock off ebay........might get slapped wrists for that though :/

I still like the Tangs to be honest but think that the Malawi setup is better for me. I`m the kind of person where I dither and throw ideas around for a while then make a definite decision and put it into action. I guess if we all had the same tastes it`d be a boring world :look: :lol:

:unsure:

Oh ho, the 'fat lady' hasn't sung :shifty:

it's not over yet..........T T T T T Tanganyikan!

We all have different "tastes" in fish, for me Tangs win over Malawi every time...

:hooray: :kana: :cool: :drinks: :friends: :yahoo:

No, no, no, no, no! :hyper: :lol: :lol:

Malawi decision has been made, I`m just so confused about what to use at the bottom of the tank, how to set it up and can I or can`t I use Sandstone? :shout: :shout: :shout:

Once I know how and in what direction to go with the whole setup I`ll be cracking on with it quicker than a rat up a drainpipe :hey:

I think I may have to look at putting my Clown plec into my 35L tank instead then, it`s just as well he`s only small :unsure:

I keep finding differing opinions on Sandstone and Limestone....some sites say Sandstone is ok but Limestone isn`t and vice versa.....my bloody head is spinning!! :X :X :lol:

I think I`m going to have to pay a visit to my local B&Q tomorrow to see what they have, because the last thing I want to do is to set the tank up one way to find out that it`s really wrong and may put the fish` health at risk :S

Either that or I`m just going to have to bite the bullet and opt for some 25kg sacks of Ocean Rock off ebay........might get slapped wrists for that though :/

Don't quote me on this but there is a flickering in the fog that is what's left of my memory :lol: I think if the tap water is soft it will eventually dissolve the sandstone, I think this can eventually go into the fishes system or gills? Causing all sorts of problems. Sound plausible ? I think if you put some vinegar on the rock and it bubbles or fizzes then there is cause for concern, like I said I'm not 100% on this I just vaguely remember reading something like that when I was trying to find out about keeping shell dwellers, sorry I can't help more than that. Safe bet would be Ocean rock I suppose. How much for 25kg on flea bay ? I think The Green Machine , The Planted Box , Aqua Essentials , Zooplus all courier it out to you but you do get some good deals on the old flea bay :good:
P.S. If anyone reading this knows where to source Metro (metronidazole) could you let me know, it's one of the many hurdles I have run into also :lol:
:fish:

Oooh, just found out another African Cichlid, which you probably know about but whatever. What about Yellow Labs :rolleyes:

No, no, no, no, no! :hyper: :lol: :lol:

Malawi decision has been made, I`m just so confused about what to use at the bottom of the tank, how to set it up and can I or can`t I use Sandstone? :shout: :shout: :shout:

Once I know how and in what direction to go with the whole setup I`ll be cracking on with it quicker than a rat up a drainpipe :hey:

:-( :/ well I tried :dunno: I actually have the best of both worlds as I have (the best) Tanganyikan Cichlids and my son-in law has Malawis so I get to enjoy both. However I still think mine are THE most interesting :nod: :nod: and certainly, without doubt, the less problematic :p

Most reactions

Back