tank size and water

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Bo Sox Fan

Reaction score
Hey- new to cichlids here, how many small ones could i keep in a twenty gallon tank, and what kinda pH do they like?

With a little research in this forum you could answer your question. But I'll help anyhow.. It depends on what kind you are getting. If they are tank raised, they tolerate a much lower PH than wild caught. Most are raised in the LFS at normal ph ranges 7.0 maybe a little higher depending... So suddenly shocking them with 8 or higher might not be the best idea.. Best bet is to do as much research as you can then talk to the LFS that has them.. Ask about their water and their fish. Smaller cpecies would include some of the Tanganyikans(shelldwellers etc).. I just setup a 16gal with 6 Pseudotropheus Demasoni.. Pretty fish and they shouldn't get much bigger than2 or 3 inches.. I'd try only a species tank in that small of a setup meaning 1 species of fish. you'll probably have the best luck.. Get an awesome filter and your fish will thank you for it.. You've read the aricles on "New Tank Syndrome" haven't you? It's really important to have a "well cycled" tank before adding fish. That that dosen't mean filling with water and checking for leaks etc.. It's all about the fishes waste and the bacteria needed to break it down efficiently.. Although I was told I could probably cycle the tank With the shelldwellers and not lose any.. I dunno. What are you thinking about putting in the tank?

if you're thinking about african cichlids, they would prefer hard n alkaline water, both of which can be achieved with smashed coral sand as substrate. if you're thinking of dwarfs such as rams or apistos, they prefer soft and acidic water. you can decrease pH by using blackwater. shellies like conditions similar to africans and they're cool (yeah maybe i like them alot and am trying to psycho you to get some) hehe

Most reactions

Back