Talking colored Neocaridina shrimp...

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Magnum Man

Supporting Member
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
looks like these are available in a kaleidoscope of colors... curious if you are breeding Red, shrimp for example, or blue, are the babies predominantly the colors of the parents, or do you get odd throw back colors pretty regularly... I've seen them for sale as groups of completely mixed colors ( they look like little Skittles candies )... just seems logical, after a couple generations of mixed color breedings, that they would all be having brown babies??? and I've read that if the intention is breeding a specific color trait, that culling shrimp is common practice???

I'm in the process of buying some "blue dream" shrimp, & I currently have some "cherry" shrimp... I won't be putting them in the same tank... but assume if they were in the same tank, I'd be getting the possibility of brown or black babies

& I'm assuming the Caridina shrimp will not interbreed with the Neocaridina??? could they be tank mates, or do the species of shrimp, not get along with each other???

Last edited:
I've had a colony of red cherry shrimps since 2013 and they are all still red, though some are more red than others.

Mixing the different colours can result in brown shrimps (wild coloured) several generations later, though odd colours will appear.

I have mixed yellow, blues, and reds. The reds overall seem the most robust, the yellows the least. I now have a number of different colors and patterns, with reds and the more natural patterns, with black and brown markings being the most prevalent. If I only bred one or the other colors I believe for the most part they breed true, IE the colors don't change in anything other than intensity.

I ordered 20 male and female grade AA cherry shrimp for a cycled existing tank. The colony arrives this Saturday. I am cycling another tank which will house 20 male and female fire cracker cherry red shrimp. I hope there will be a lot of breeding going on. I want to keep the two lines pure.

I'm a little disappointed in this thread. Based on the title, I thought you had discovered a strain of shrimp that could talk. I was excited about this, because I've always wondered what neocardias are thinking about. Guess I'll keep waiting. :(

I'm a little disappointed in this thread. Based on the title, I thought you had discovered a strain of shrimp that could talk. I was excited about this, because I've always wondered what neocardias are thinking about. Guess I'll keep waiting. :(
My neocaridinas have a Scottish accent.

I happen to be a shrimp-whisperer.
This is their average conversations:
Food.
Gimme food.
Want food.
Is this food?

I have 12 known baby Pumpkin at the moment that are from the same laying, on these, 4 will be deep orange and the rest will have the thorax and telson orange with a translucent abdomen. Like the rili, Mom is deep orange and she's the boss of the tank.

I happen to be a shrimp-whisperer.
This is their average conversations:
Food.
Gimme food.
Want food.
Is this food?
So they speak the same language as my dog. And my fourth graders. And me, at certain times of the day. Good to know.

Most reactions

Back