Syphon and Water Fillers

FishGuest5123

Fish Maniac
Tank of the Month šŸ†
Reaction score
Hi, Gang! I have a Python syphon and water filller. Itā€™s a god send with 8 tanks. However, I recently dealt with columnaris in a tank and donā€™t want to risk cross contamination. Right now Iā€™m bleaching the Python between tanks and rinsing with Prime. A lot of work and added expense. Does anyone use or recommend a syphon/water changer that is less expensive than the Python? Iā€™d like to eventually buy one for each tank if I can locate one at a good price. Several of my tanks are large and in the den so bucket fills are not an option. Thanks for any help you can offer!

1.5 and 2 litre plastic drink bottles. Cut the bottom off and throw that bit away. Stick a garden hose in the top and you have a gravel cleaner you can run out the door and onto the lawn. Get one bottle per tank and drop them in a bucket of bleach or super saturated salt water with a massive dose of formaldehyde and methylene blue or some other broad spectrum fish medication. After a couple of hours, take them out and rinse off under tap water. Then allow them to dry for a day before re-using them.

You can buy have a hose connector and a couple of feet of garden hose for each bottle and that can also go into a bucket of salt water. Then you simply disconnect the hose from the gravel cleaner (and its short length of hose) and connect another one to it.

Wow, brilliant. Thanks so much, Colin.

Most reactions

Back