suggestions for compatible tank mates

yeah, shrimp would be pretty much a no-go. not just with the catfish but with most of what you already have. you could get some ghost shrimp if you'd like; they're rather inexpensive and a great dietary supplement if they get eaten.

Yep that is the bumblebee catfish! :thumbs: I believe they grow to about 4 inches max but I have had mine for about 5 months and he is only about 3 inches and I don't think he will get any bigger. I wouldn't put any shrimp in there with him as I bought 15 ghost shrimp and within a week ALL of them "disappeared" :eek: All of my other fish are pretty peaceful and community fish, so I blamed it on the catfish. He also had the largest belly in the tank. :p No more ghost shrimp in my tank.

They like wood and will need a dark cave to hide out in during the day. You can use a piece of PVC pipe, that always works well.

.....Sorry about the question after question, but what about Armoured Shrimp? Again - a local store stocks them and they're pretty substantial... at least 2-3 inches with lovely, bright-blue armour..... are they a no-go too? :-(

I like those :nod:

Do you mean crayfish? I wouldn't put any of those in - with those the reverse would be your problem - they regularly kill fish and I believe they grow to double the size you see them at at your LFS. I've never had any myself but I know people who do and generaly they need to be with larger, semi-aggressive fish such as cichlids and sometimes sharks.

sylvia said:
Do you mean crayfish?
Hmm... I'm not actually sure... They are definitely labelled as Armoured Shrimp in the store. I'll ask the store owner before I purchase though, just incase

Do crayfish have that lovely shiny blue armor?

If so, it may be the same thing :(

Oh well - that just means I'll need more fish tanks! Simple! :nod: :D

Some shrimp are fine, such as wood shrimp, also known as Bamboo shrimp or Singapore flower shrimp. They grow big enough to not be edible and filter feed so they wont harm the fish. Angels and pretty much any cichlids besides rams are a no-no in your tank. I love blue/opaline gouramis, and they get along fine with Bettas. I had 2 blues and a male betta in a 10g once and they survived perfectly for 4 years! I also had a pleco in there, as this was before I knew it was even called a pleco. I just called him a "sucker fish" lol, the n00biness.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back