Substrate & German Blue Ram Health

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

From your repeated descriptions in your last few posts I am becoming suspicious of chronic parasite infection in that particular fish. May well be worth a try using flubendazole (available at most LFS in the UK as a pond fish anti-worms/flukes treatment).
Flubendazole is always my first line of attack against parasites as it is almost side-effect free (if you don't overdose), and one treatment almost always does the job. Like all treatments, however, it won't work against everything and,in particular, seems to be uneffective against ich.

Would it be worth me doing a swab of the fish? I'd like to see evidence of a parasite ideally because side-effects or not, it's not good to be adding medicine to an aquarium if it's not needed.

Also, where do you source Flubendazole as I can't seem to find it anywhere online? Thanks.

Does anybody know if the redness shown on the underside of the Ram is natural? Picture of him below:

ramfu.jpg

If it's not natural, I'm 90% certain the sharpness of the substrate has made his underside rough and irritated.

Also, where do you source Flubendazole as I can't seem to find it anywhere online? Thanks.

Online, you can buy it easily as wormer plus .. http://wormerplus.co.uk/

Ignore the name, it's great for all sorts of external parastes too.

Can we please keep this topic in a pleasant manner and only post "advice" :good:

Simon

Can we please keep this topic in a pleasant manner and only post "advice" :good:

Simon

I would have thought it was good advice to point out the OP was looking in the wrong place, for his problem, and for the wrong reasons. he also suggest that it "normal" to gain reparations, for things that its impossible to get reparations for. ( well practically) which could set, other, members thinking it practical to do so.

Simon

I would have thought it was good advice to point out the OP was looking in the wrong place, for his problem, and for the wrong reasons. he also suggest that it "normal" to gain reparations, for things that its impossible to get reparations for. ( well practically) which could set, other, members thinking it practical to do so.

Do me and others a favour and stop responding to this thread. Your comments are not welcome.

Simon

Do me and others a favour and stop responding to this thread. Your comments are not welcome.

unless you want to close the thread, that's not your choice. and shouldn't matter, as i am on your ignore list?

I think you've been barking up the wrong tree when thinking about the substrate being the cause of the problem however I have no real idea what it could be through this development. However I do want to contribute/calm this on going debate by not adding fuel to the fire but perhaps adding sand to the fire.

For the record... Playsand has been nothing but a money saver and a great substrate for the time I used it. I do find your reasoning rather odd as I imagine there are hundreds of things you have used with your aquarium, buckets for example are they aquarium specific? Hoses, again aquarium specific? I doubt it, I understand the frustration Raptorrex has and the bewilderment that someone like yourself believes you can claim reimbursements because your fish have died or become ill by using a product. Only recently we saw on the tropical discussion Maidenhead Aquatics failing to stick to their Fish stock guarantee and blamed it on an ammonia/nitrite spike which their test kits detected. Do you really think a fish store will happily say... yep it must be the substrate?

I do believe some members will get the wrong message and feel that you are making them out to care less about their fish by choosing to opt for play sand, I have and still will regard playsand as one of the best substrates I have ever used. After all it is sand...

For the record... Playsand has been nothing but a money saver and a great substrate for the time I used it. I do find your reasoning rather odd as I imagine there are hundreds of things you have used with your aquarium, buckets for example are they aquarium specific? Hoses, again aquarium specific? I doubt it, I understand the frustration Raptorrex has and the bewilderment that someone like yourself believes you can claim reimbursements because your fish have died or become ill by using a product. Only recently we saw on the tropical discussion Maidenhead Aquatics failing to stick to their Fish stock guarantee and blamed it on an ammonia/nitrite spike which their test kits detected. Do you really think a fish store will happily say... yep it must be the substrate?

I do believe some members will get the wrong message and feel that you are making them out to care less about their fish by choosing to opt for play sand, I have and still will regard playsand as one of the best substrates I have ever used. After all it is sand...

I'd like to just re-emphasise, yet again, that this thread wasn't created to discuss the suitability of play sand. I choose to avoid it because consumer law would not protect me if I wanted a reimbursement from a business seller as they would argue that the normal and recognised use for play sand pertains to outdoor use. Thus, theres a real threat that the seller could argue a refund is not possible since I never enquired, prior to contracting with them, that I wanted to use it in an aquarium, thereby not giving them the opportunity to explain it's suitability in such an environment.

I'd have to expressly ask that seller "is your general purpose play sand safe for use in an aquarium?". If the reply was something like "yes, absolutely", this is known as an 'overriding oral statement' which becomes a binding term of the contract. Thus, If I purchase the product and find it causes damage, ill health, leaching or has any other detrimental effect, I'd be able to claim a refund under the Misrepresentation Act 1967.

I haven't used play sand before so I don't know if it would have a detrimental effect, but I'd prefer to buy a substrate which states somewhere in it's description that it can be used in an aquarium safely. That way it, if it wasn't safe, I'd be able to claim a refund under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 under a claim of breach of 'description' and/or 'unfit for purpose'. I'm sure they would want to know my water parameters and a description of the other things in the tank before issuing such a refund which I would be happy to address for them.

I'm also person that likes to categorise things, so, buying a product specifically for aquarium use makes me feel happier than trying to buy a general purpose product which can be used for many things.

I think you've been barking up the wrong tree when thinking about the substrate being the cause of the problem however I have no real idea what it could be through this development.

Possibly, nobody can tell me why I've been barking up the wrong tree though. Since the GBR responds negatively when near the substrate, it would be logical to say somethings wrong with the substrate (which isn't play sand by the way; it's caribsea instant aquarium sand). The person named Wilder, who deals with Tropical fish emergency threads did imply it could be the substrate causing the rubbing as he adviced I take a water sample closer to the substrate. Since getting my planted tank thriving though, it's been hinted on the UKAPS website and also in another one of my threads on this forum that my API test kit won't give accurate readings as it may conflict with the new ferts I'm using.

I do believe some members will get the wrong message and feel that you are making them out to care less about their fish

They shouldn't really. They should instead read what I've said accurately. I'm more approaching this from a legal angle than a welfare angle.

I wouldn't accuse anybody of mistreating their fish unless it was obvious that that was the case. As i've said, I've never claimed play sand is dangerous to fish. I just see it as unsuitable from a legal standpoint.

The wormerplus has arrived, but ever since installing a strong UV-C may Ram is only doing rubbing that is seemingly a normal behavioural trait. Nevertheless, he's still rubbing on the substrate :(.

At least I've got the product for future use. Thanks for telling me about it. :good:

The wormerplus has arrived, but ever since installing a strong UV-C may Ram is only doing rubbing that is seemingly a normal behavioural trait. Nevertheless, he's still rubbing on the substrate :(.

At least I've got the product for future use. Thanks for telling me about it. :good:

If it were me I'd use it anyway. I just can't see that behaviour being a habit that the fish has developed. In my decades of fishkeeping I've only ever seen rubbing when the fish's skin is irritated by something.
The flubendazole really is very gentle on the fish, but tough on any parasites. The preparation I bought also only had a shelf life of about 6 months. Not sure about yours though, which is a different brand.

Since getting my planted tank thriving though, it's been hinted on the UKAPS website and also in another one of my threads on this forum that my API test kit won't give accurate readings as it may conflict with the new ferts I'm using.

I've got a bit fed up of my API kit, it was useful as a rough guideline during a cycle but my CO2 planted tank always reads ammonia and I only dose Flourish Excel and Trace, I use Tropica substrate along with black gravel on top but I find my Ammonia test ALWAYS has a green tint to it, I can test my small tank and it won't read it and that is dosed different ferts. I make the connection just by what I know so I wouldn't be finding it too far fetched to make that connection yourself. I have no scientific explanation to it apart from what I believe is a set of inaccurate tests and a lot of variables involved.

If it were me I'd use it anyway. I just can't see that behaviour being a habit that the fish has developed. In my decades of fishkeeping I've only ever seen rubbing when the fish's skin is irritated by something.
The flubendazole really is very gentle on the fish, but tough on any parasites. The preparation I bought also only had a shelf life of about 6 months. Not sure about yours though, which is a different brand.

Just thought i'd mention that my GBR went through a phase involving no rubbing for about 4 days. After looking at some tiny particles that had landed on the substrate I felt the need to do a gravel vac. After disturbing the substrate he started darting around the tank really quickly, rubbing every 1-2 seconds as he made his way around the tank.

Based on that, would it be normal to think one of the following:

1. Theres trapped toxins in the substrate which when released cause skin irritation.
2. Him seeing the substrate moving causes a natural response to want to dislodge the substrate for food (he will follow the gravel vac around to catch loose debris)
3. The loosened solids that come out of the substrate make contact with him and he's trying to shake it off.

Since getting my planted tank thriving though, it's been hinted on the UKAPS website and also in another one of my threads on this forum that my API test kit won't give accurate readings as it may conflict with the new ferts I'm using.

I've got a bit fed up of my API kit, it was useful as a rough guideline during a cycle but my CO2 planted tank always reads ammonia and I only dose Flourish Excel and Trace, I use Tropica substrate along with black gravel on top but I find my Ammonia test ALWAYS has a green tint to it, I can test my small tank and it won't read it and that is dosed different ferts. I make the connection just by what I know so I wouldn't be finding it too far fetched to make that connection yourself. I have no scientific explanation to it apart from what I believe is a set of inaccurate tests and a lot of variables involved.

I've got fed of mine as well because it only causes me anxiety when I see the green tint in the vial. As a result of not being able to rely on the API kit, I now feed the fish less often and try my best to not overfeed. I try and imagine what sort of bioload the filter can neutralise and never exceed that bioload. I always check the fishes' behaviour to check for signs of high ammonia/nitrite instead of constantly testing the water.

Just thought i'd mention that my GBR went through a phase involving no rubbing for about 4 days. After looking at some tiny particles that had landed on the substrate I felt the need to do a gravel vac. After disturbing the substrate he started darting around the tank really quickly, rubbing every 1-2 seconds as he made his way around the tank.

Based on that, would it be normal to think one of the following:

1. Theres trapped toxins in the substrate which when released cause skin irritation.
2. Him seeing the substrate moving causes a natural response to want to dislodge the substrate for food (he will follow the gravel vac around to catch loose debris)
3. The loosened solids that come out of the substrate make contact with him and he's trying to shake it off.

Very interesting. Your deductions seem very logical. You are obviously a scientist at heart, if not professionally. I am becoming fascinated with this case.

Remind me why you have not considered changing the substrate, as that is what I suspect I would attempt if I was still worried about it. Although, if it just behavioural, I guess a chnage of substrate would probably change nothing !
Having a look at the website on your current substrate, I certainly agree that it "should" not be a problem, unless Caribsea are prone to BS.
It would be interesting to see a video of his behaviour after a gravel vac, if that were at all possible.

Might be a silly question and I haven't bothered to read to see if you have done it already but....

Have you considered phoning up the producer of your substrate and asking if there were any dodgey batches? I remember seeing a recall from a certain site I order stuff regularly from with the manufacturer offering to replace it as it was of unsatisfactory quality.

It could be possible that a certain batch of the substrate was contaminated whilst bagging/shipping, they may admit to it.

If you haven't done so yet, there really isn't any harm in phoning up to find out.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back