stupid questions

dwarf-puffers

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
what does the hardness and softness of the water meen ph? what is consitered hard = 8.0? and what is consitered soft?

7.0 pH is neutral, under that is acidic(soft) over that is basic(alkaline or hard). Hydrochloric(HCl), Sulfuric(H2SO4 and nitric(HNO3) acids are pH 1, sodium hydroxide(NaOH) is pH 14. There are also mineral contents that can effect water quality. Tetra Aquasafe will help to condition the tap water to make it safe for fish. Coral or coral based sand will raise the the pH and roots or driftwood will lower the pH.HTH :)

if a fish is more"hardier" does that meen they like higher ph? here is an example the bolivian ram is more "hardier" than most other rams

I'm not fluent with either of these but from what I understand/remember...

Water hardness is in reference to the amount of ionized(?) metals in the water. 80-100 ppm is about the moderate mark (not hard nor soft). I know the reason it needs to be in a safe range has to do with the fishes internal equilibrium or something like that, but I don't remember details.

I think what you were asking about was PH though (based on the reading you referenced). This has to do with the ration between alkalinity and acidity. Different fish have different preferred levels but some generalizations can be made. Most tropical fish like it between 6.0-8.0 with the middle as the best. Some fish are ultra sensitive to PH and others are almost not affected (as long as it's not unreasonably out of range). There are also some fish that prefer it around 8-8.5 .

I've often heard it advised not to use chemicals to adjust the PH as mistakes can easily cost fish their lives. I personally do not use them, but I have known people who have both with and without problems. I think there is about as much stable argument for as there is against, so it's a personal call. Also some common decor substances can alter PH. I'm starting to experiment with using such decor to stabilize my PH in a safer area (mine is around 6.2 from the tap).

Lastly, it's never stupid to ask a question, it's stupid to not know something and screw up and kill your fish. I'm glad ya asked.

By the way my references to HCl, H2SO4, HNO3 and NaOH were just to point out the pH differences not that they should ever be used in trying to adjust pH levels!!!! Most fish will do fine in 6.0-8.0 pH the important thing is to NOT vary it much. Sudden changes in pH will cause fish distress.

so reaslly if a fish is harrdier it just meen they will adapt better rite ? sry bout all the other stuff i dont get it really all the H7G6 stuff im only 13 i dont really get it

There is no such thing as a stupid question..that's why we are all here. SH

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back