Stress Coat - how much?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

betazigzag

Reaction score
Hi!
Thanks for all the help with my last question :) I've been using the stress coat for a few weeks now as a water conditioner for my betta's 5 gallon tank. Tank is cycled, it has a box filter and water changes are indicated by tests to only happen usually about once a week) He was bought from a pet store and has some tears in his fins - he doesn't appear sick, just some tears here and there, more like he's had a rough life. I decided to add 1 tsp stress coat following the bottle directions to help his fins - it is 2 days later and he's now the happiest fish I've ever seen, swimming, flaring, hungry, he seems very healthy. It seemed to help a lot, he does still have the tears tho. Question - how often should I put in a larger dose to help his fins? It says its non toxic and he can't overdose on it. If you use stress coat, how often do you usually use it? THANKS!

Stress coats don't quite act as meds...

You might be better off with betta or melafix. If you keep tank conditions good, the tears should fix up just fine.

I love stress coat, think it's great stuff. Personally I add stress coat, blackwater and salt at every water change. I wouldn't medicate for small rips in fins, but salt and stresscoat are good. If he's really torn up or if he starts getting fin rot on the tears then go with some bettamax, or appropriate meds. :)

If I add stresscoat, it is right after I do a water change. However, stress coat is intended to encourage the regrowth of the slime coating that fish lose when they are stressed or disease. As tempestuous said, I don't think stress coat would help with repairing fins. Aquarium salt works better for this, IME. :)

Edit: Sorrell beat me to it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back