Stocking My New Fluval Edge 12 Gallon

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Mrrippey

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hello all!!! First of hopefully many posts. I am new to fish and just in the process of doing a fishless cycle.

As I am looking for fish to stock, I know my choices are limited (both in the types and number of fish). I have been reading a lot and getting many different answers so I rather just ask what I am thinking.

I am looking to stock my tank with guppies, palaties and mollies. The total number I think should not reach 10 for all three. I would like to have two shrimp as well.

Is this at all doable in my 12 gallon?

Thanks in advance an I'm looking to learn and eventually contribute to the community.

Rippey

Yes to the guppies, no to the platies and mollies, a big yes to the shrimp. If it were me I'd turn it into a shrimp tank maybe 20 shrimp and 3 guppies and the shrimp population will grow and grow and GROW .

Have a look through our 'nano fish' thread here, OP ; http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/418749-nano-fish/

Should give you some inspiration
smile.png
I totally agree with TallTree about the platies and mollies, they're far too chunky and bulky for an Edge.

Would be okay to have just one Molly / platie as the signature fish in my tank and have say 6-7 guppies (males) and a couple of shrimp to clean up? I know I do not have a lot of room but I would like to have some color and have a fish that stands out. Not sure if either of these are schooling fish though....

Rippey

Not really, both mollies and platies get bigger than you think and need room to be able to swim about which they just won't be able to do in an Edge.

A group of male guppies, Endlers, microrasboras or one of the smaller tetras (embers, green neons) would be your best bet for suitability and colour. I would go for the guppies or Endlers if your water's on the hard side and the rasboras or tetras if your water's softer.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back