Stocking Ideas for 130L or 182L

Oh ok, thanks, what fish are suitable then?

In very general terms, you should look at fish that originate (meaning, in the wild habitat) from South America and SE Asia. Forget all livebearers as they need harder water. Some of the rainbowfish from northern Australia and New Guinea will work. Most characins (which includes tetras, pencilfish and hatchetfish), rasboras, danios, barbs, most catfish (cory cats for example), gourami, dwarf cichlids, some of the loaches. Obviously these cannot all be combined, I am only giving you groups to look into. And the eventual size of tank you get (the 90cm or 120 cm length) needs to be kept in mind. Many of the mentioned fish are shoaling, meaning they must be in groups; while there are minimum numbers like six for many of them, it will always be better for the fish to have more in the group. So for example, a group of 15 rummynose tetras will be much healthier than would a group of six or seven.

In very general terms, you should look at fish that originate (meaning, in the wild habitat) from South America and SE Asia. Forget all livebearers as they need harder water. Some of the rainbowfish from northern Australia and New Guinea will work. Most characins (which includes tetras, pencilfish and hatchetfish), rasboras, danios, barbs, most catfish (cory cats for example), gourami, dwarf cichlids, some of the loaches. Obviously these cannot all be combined, I am only giving you groups to look into. And the eventual size of tank you get (the 90cm or 120 cm length) needs to be kept in mind. Many of the mentioned fish are shoaling, meaning they must be in groups; while there are minimum numbers like six for many of them, it will always be better for the fish to have more in the group. So for example, a group of 15 rummynose tetras will be much healthier than would a group of six or seven.
Ok thanks, I’m tempted by rainbows but they get pretty big and I believe you need a school of six, or more, are yo-yo loaches good? Kuhlis kinda scare me tbh, I saw some adorable peppermint bristlenoses, if I was to get them would I get one or 2, and would they be ok for a 90cm?

Ok thanks, I’m tempted by rainbows but they get pretty big and I believe you need a school of six, or more, are yo-yo loaches good? Kuhlis kinda scare me tbh, I saw some adorable peppermint bristlenoses, if I was to get them would I get one or 2, and would they be ok for a 90cm?
Also other cichlids, I like electric yellows but they probably grow to big also, might go fir a big school of rummys 10ish and a few bristlenoses to start me of, would they be ok in the Hardness? 142.

Apistogrammas are cool also, do they need a school and with ones pop with colour the most? Sorry for all the messages lol!

There are rainbowfish that range in size from 1 inch (Pseudomugil gertrudae) to 5 inches (Glossolepis incisus). Most rainbowfish are between 2-4 inches long.

All rainbowfish should be kept in groups of 6 or more. 8-10 rainbows make a happier group than 6 :)

Iriatherina werneri and Pseudomugil gertrudae will be fine in soft water, as will most of the smaller Melanotaenia species like M. papuae, sexlineata, pygmaea, nigrans & exquisita. Many of the bigger species will be fine too but if you want small fish like tetras, then avoid the bigger rainbows.

Apistogramma dwarf cichlids should be kept in prs (1 male & 1 female) and do well in soft water. Most of them will also breed and it is interesting watching the parental care.
Apistogramma cacatuoides is my favourite and one of the most colourful, they are easy to sex, easy to breed, peaceful and live in most conditions.

Last edited:

Colin dealt with your question on rainbowfish. And dwarf cichlids.

Yo-Yo loaches should have a 120 cm length tank, as they attain close to six inches and are shoaling so a group of at least five or six. There are some better loaches, not quite as large or as feisty so better in community tanks. The dwarf chain loach, Ambastaia sidthimunki, in a group of five or six would be nice. Like all loaches, they need lots of chunks of bogwood so they can select their "home" piece. They also like playing "tag" and if you get Malaysian Driftwood from some aquarium stores or online the larger chunks sometimes have tunnels which the loaches like to explore. A sand substrate is better for loaches (and most other catfish too).

True bristlenose plecos get to about four inches so one in a 90cm tank is fine. Also needs chunks of real wood like that mentioned above to graze or its digestive tract can be upset.

Also other cichlids, I like electric yellows but they probably grow to big also, might go fir a big school of rummys 10ish and a few bristlenoses to start me of, would they be ok in the Hardness? 142.

Electric yellow cichlids are rift lake fish, from east Africa, and they must have harder water, so do not get any of those.

Rummynose in a group of 10 would be OK, though I would get a few more; this is one tetra that is always better with larger groups, 12-15 here. These tetra remain in the lower half of the aquarium, down with your dwarf cichlids. So other species should be higher-water fish.

I would stay with one bristlenose; males can be territorial. They might also out-compete one another for food, as they are algae grazers. They can become accustomed to veggies like squash.

Colin dealt with your question on rainbowfish. And dwarf cichlids.

Yo-Yo loaches should have a 120 cm length tank, as they attain close to six inches and are shoaling so a group of at least five or six. There are some better loaches, not quite as large or as feisty so better in community tanks. The dwarf chain loach, Ambastaia sidthimunki, in a group of five or six would be nice. Like all loaches, they need lots of chunks of bogwood so they can select their "home" piece. They also like playing "tag" and if you get Malaysian Driftwood from some aquarium stores or online the larger chunks sometimes have tunnels which the loaches like to explore. A sand substrate is better for loaches (and most other catfish too).

True bristlenose plecos get to about four inches so one in a 90cm tank is fine. Also needs chunks of real wood like that mentioned above to graze or its digestive tract can be upset.

Electric yellow cichlids are rift lake fish, from east Africa, and they must have harder water, so do not get any of those.

Rummynose in a group of 10 would be OK, though I would get a few more; this is one tetra that is always better with larger groups, 12-15 here. These tetra remain in the lower half of the aquarium, down with your dwarf cichlids. So other species should be higher-water fish.

I would stay with one bristlenose; males can be territorial. They might also out-compete one another for food, as they are algae grazers. They can become accustomed to veggies like squash.
Ok, so I’ll go for one bristlenoses. My LFS orders black one and albino ones but sometimes they get like crossbred ones, there kinda a orangey-brown.i always wanted some runmynoses in my 65L but it wasn’t big enough to have a decent school. I’ll proba pick up like 14 in case a couple die early. Thanks a lot for your help. Cory’s and bristlenoses get along fine right?

Yes, cories (a group of 10+ here, one or mixed species) and BN are fine together. Just make sure there is a lot of chunks of wood. Cories like this to have hiding spots too, and the BN needs it to graze.

Yes, cories (a group of 10+ here, one or mixed species) and BN are fine together. Just make sure there is a lot of chunks of wood. Cories like this to have hiding spots too, and the BN needs it to graze.
I have a huge piece of driftwood. I’ll send a photo. And my pop has a smaller piece of mayalsian I’m geussing if I get the 120 long. I keep my 14 get like 12-13 rummys like 6-8 more Cory’s and a bristlenoses is that fully stocked for a 51gal?

I have a huge piece of driftwood. I’ll send a photo. And my pop has a smaller piece of mayalsian I’m geussing if I get the 120 long. I keep my 14 get like 12-13 rummys like 6-8 more Cory’s and a bristlenoses is that fully stocked for a 51gal?

You would have space for quite a few more fish, depending what they are, though I'd like to be certain just how many rummys and cories we are at now..

You would have space for quite a few more fish, depending what they are, though I'd like to be certain just how many rummys and cories we are at now..
I currently have 2, I’m adding more once I get my new tank a big tank. Adding 8 more 4 albino 4 leopard which will make that 10 around 12-14 rummys and a brittlenose.
I currently have 3 Cherry Barbs
4 Purple Hareliquin Rasboras
3 Black Widows
And the 2 Cats

I currently have 2, I’m adding more once I get my new tank a big tank. Adding 8 more 4 albino 4 leopard which will make that 10 around 12-14 rummys and a brittlenose.
I currently have 3 Cherry Barbs
4 Purple Hareliquin Rasboras
3 Black Widows
And the 2 Cats

With the 120 cm length tank, I would up the cories to 15-20. Try for five of a species if you can, and you can mix species but it is best to have a few of each species. Which is what you are intending, but I would just increase the total, with more of these two or another species or two.

I would suggest a total of 15-20 rummynose. The other mentioned species if you intend keeping them should be increased to 8-10 each total.

A word of caution on the Black Widow Tetra...this species can get a bit nippy of fins especially of any slow sedate fish or those with long fins. If you were intending the Apistogramma, I would remove the three Black Widow and not have them. But if you want them increase them to 8-9 which can help avoid fin nipping, sometimes.

With the 120 cm length tank, I would up the cories to 15-20. Try for five of a species if you can, and you can mix species but it is best to have a few of each species. Which is what you are intending, but I would just increase the total, with more of these two or another species or two.

I would suggest a total of 15-20 rummynose. The other mentioned species if you intend keeping them should be increased to 8-10 each total.

A word of caution on the Black Widow Tetra...this species can get a bit nippy of fins especially of any slow sedate fish or those with long fins. If you were intending the Apistogramma, I would remove the three Black Widow and not have them. But if you want them increase them to 8-9 which can help avoid fin nipping, sometimes.
Nah I’ve decided against appistogrammas, too expensive and apparently not very hardy. Couldn’t agree anymore on nipping though. They nip each other. What other suggestions do you thing? I’ll go for 4 more leopards 4 more albinos and mabye sterbais? Along with 15 rummys a bristlenose and the others. What else?

See what may be available locally, but keep in mind that some species will be available maybe only once or twice a year, so don't rush into buying something you later wish you hadn't just to fill up space.

See what may be available locally, but keep in mind that some species will be available maybe only once or twice a year, so don't rush into buying something you later wish you hadn't just to fill up space.
Yeah ok, how many more fish would be ok do you reckon roughly. I know it depends on size but..

Most reactions

trending

Back