AquaBarb

Aqua}^>holic
🏆 Tank of the Year 🏆
3x Fish of the Month 🌟
4x Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Hi guy's and girls,
(Newcomer to the hobby)

Ive got a cycled 105ltr planted tank. (30l x 19h x 14d) At the moment i have 6 zebra danio's in which are doing great and now planning to get them some new buddies.

Over time im hoping to add the following:
2 more zebra danio
6 x cory's
8 x cardinal tetra or 8 x rummys
1 centre piece fish- bolivan ram or a small gourami like a honey.

Would this be ok stocking wise or would this be too many fish? I dont 100% trust what aqadvisor says going off what other forums have said. Any advise would be much appreciated

Many thanks in advance

Welcome to TFF and the hobby.

The issue with the suggested stocking is not a problem with respect to numbers/volume but there are some compatibility issues. Zebra danio are very active fish, and this is unsettling to sedate fish like cichlids and gourami, so I would not combine these.

The cories won't mind the danios as the latter remain in the upper level, but I would get a few more cories, they are very social fish and always fare better the more there are of them. You can mix species, most don't seem to mind, though I always try to have a few of each species which does seem to be appreciated.

Either tetra is OK, though if this were me with the active Zebras the rummys would be a better match than cardinals; rummys tend to shoal together much more and they like swimming the tank length.

Welcome to TFF and the hobby.

The issue with the suggested stocking is not a problem with respect to numbers/volume but there are some compatibility issues. Zebra danio are very active fish, and this is unsettling to sedate fish like cichlids and gourami, so I would not combine these.

The cories won't mind the danios as the latter remain in the upper level, but I would get a few more cories, they are very social fish and always fare better the more there are of them. You can mix species, most don't seem to mind, though I always try to have a few of each species which does seem to be appreciated.

Either tetra is OK, though if this were me with the active Zebras the rummys would be a better match than cardinals; rummys tend to shoal together much more and they like swimming the tank length.
Thanks for the advise Byron.
Could i just ask if you would recommend cherry barbs instead of the tetras to go with the zebras. Or is this a no go?

Cheers

Thanks for the advise Byron.
Could i just ask if you would recommend cherry barbs instead of the tetras to go with the zebras. Or is this a no go?

Cheers

Cherry barb is fine. I can't seem to remember where they prefer to be in the water column, but no issues as they are somewhat lively too; the larger the group the better as males will always be much more colourful when there is a good mix of male/female.

Cherry barb is fine. I can't seem to remember where they prefer to be in the water column, but no issues as they are somewhat lively too; the larger the group the better as males will always be much more colourful when there is a good mix of male/female.
Thats good to hear

Thank you for your time

Most reactions

Back