Stocking Fluval Edge

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ben3486

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I want some thing funky to stock in my fluval edge.... I love the bright yellow cichlids.....could I get away with one or two of these only in the tank? Is there any thing else which looks funky I can stock?

In a word - NO.

I don't think there is a single cichlid that is suitable for a Fluval Edge. Even the tiny shell dwellers would appreciate a bigger tank. The yellow ones you saw could be a number of different species but they all get far, far too big.

A Fluval Edge is a pretty tank and I can understand wanting something a bit special for it, but it's also a weird tank that has a few problems associated with it which limit the fish you can have.

IMO, you would be best planting it up really nicely, adding a teeny cave (maybe a small terracotta pot or a coconut cave) and then stocking it with about 6 green neon tetra and 6 small shrimp (cherry shrimp are orangey-pink and rather lovely). You could also try 4 guppies and 3 zebra snails. There are small fish out there that are suitable but most shops don't actually sell them. You might have to special order if you want something both tiny and unusual, and please do LOADS of research first.

You don't want anything that is an air breather, tbh, so no frogs and even a betta might struggle as it would need to search around for the air hole.

Anything more than that is pushing it - the tank already have problems with oxygenation of the water and it's hard to clean so you want to keep a limited number of very small fish.

drobbyb - Fluval Edge is 28 litres

Bleh.... the smallest cichlid need at least 15 gallons or something to be happy? I'd say neon tetras and cherry shrimp like Assaye said. :D

Not neon tetras :p

Green neon tetras. They are not actually neon tetras at all and they are quite a bit smaller :)

Neon tetras are 45 litres +, imo.

I agree. No neons. Here are some potential tenants:

One of these
-5 male Endlers livebearer
-6 Microrasboras*
-6 Emerald eye / green neon tetras
-3-5 Male Guppies
-3 Bumblebee gobies**
-1 Dwarf puffer**
-3 African Dwarf Frogs (possibly?)

And / or one of these (except with ** fish)
-4-6 Dwarf shrimp eg. Cherry Shrimp, CRS, CBS, Pearl Blue Shrimp, Emerald Green Shrimp, Amano Shrimp
-3 Ghost Shrimp
-2 Zebra / Nerite Snails
-1 Ramshorn Snail

* This genera includes a zillion little rasboras that are all under about 1.5". Very cool fish and perfect for small setups. Just a few from this family are: Celestial Pearl Danios / Galaxy Rasboras, Boraras briggitae, B. merah, exclaimation point danios... the list goes on! DOn't forget: keep no less than 6 of the same species.
** For more experienced fish keepers. They are rather messy and will not accept dry food.

Hope that helped! Obviously you will have to fiddle around with the actual numbers if you want to get reasonable bioload but all species should be happy in an Edge.

what is an "exclamation point danio"?! Sounds very interesting, does anyone have a pic?

The Bororas Brigittae look very pretty for such a small fish

what is an "exclamation point danio"?! Sounds very interesting, does anyone have a pic?

The Bororas Brigittae look very pretty for such a small fish

Oh they are... and they make a tank look huge as well. Very high-impact stocking for a fluval edge... heck if I had the dough I'd do a microrasbora edge myself!

wow....I didnt expect as many replies lol..im on a few VW forums and never get a good respone lol

Thanks for all the feed back...bit bummed about the cichlids :(....not even one?!

I like the look of the bumblebee gobies...are they stocked in most fish retailers? Ilive near Swaffham...near kingslynn in norfolk. Any good retailers about?

If I have to special order fish as i cant find them how does this work? do they come through the post? lol and where do you find such special order shops? I've kept tropical fish befor but never got into it properly.... this time im doing it right.... so sorry for the Q's which you prob all roll your eyes at lol.

Any help with set up and what to look out for in the water etc...good or bad...would be amazing. feel free to link me and pm me :D

Thanks again peeps. :D

Jus had a look at the bumblebees in the fish section (cant remeber what its called...the bit with all the info of all the fish lol)

It says they area brackis fish...just wondered how much salt to put in the fluval edge?

Also .... where I work we have a battery charging room and i can get hold of as much de-ionised water as i want for free!!! lol....any good for tanks...surely better than tap water with all its junk in it??!!

Thanks again peps.

Sorry to hi-jack the thread but where could i get some Bororas Brigittae? Just googled them and love them.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back