Stocking 180L tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Jovigirl25

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm relatively new to the fishkeeping world. I started out with a 40 litre tank after being poorly advised. I ended up with an overstocked tank and as a result I didn't have too great a time keeping fish. Now that the last remaining fish in the 40L tank has sadly passed I've decided to get a new tank. Due to limited space I've decided upon the Juwel Vision 180. I'm setting this up to go through a cycle before introducing fish but I'm wondering if anyone could advise on what sort of fish to populate the tank with? I'm keen on colourful fish and I quite like shoaling fish. Another favourite of mine are the angelfish but I've never had anything over than tetras, guppies and mollies before. I don't want to end up with baby fish this time :) any advice would be greatly appreciated to help me so this properly.

Thanks

Welcome!
Do you know your water parameters, like hardness and pH? That will help us figure out good fish for you. c:

Hi, thanks for your reply. I've not got any water parameters at the minute, the tank has just been set up for a day or so but I can post these in a couple of weeks to let the cycle run. I do live in a soft water area, that's all I know at present. I just really want to do things properly this time :)

To find the hardness of your tap water, look at your water company's website. They should have a section on hardness somewhere. Let us know both the number and the unit - they can use one of half a dozen units and knowing which one is important. If they give alkalinity, tell us that as well, though if you are in the UK very few water companies actually give this.
You will need a test kit to cycle the tank so that will give your pH. Test both freshly run tap water and a glass of water that has been allowed to stand overnight - they will probably not be the same.
You can look for the hardness and test the pH now, you don't need to wait a couple of weeks.

Do you mean that you are going to let the tank run for a couple of weeks and that will cycle it?
It won't. You need to add ammonia to cycle the tank. If you haven't already read it, this tells you how to cycle a tank http://www.fishforums.net/threads/cycling-your-new-fresh-water-tank-read-this-first.421488/

Most reactions

trending

Back