Step-by-step Guide To Weekly Maintenance

my husband does the water change on my tank and dont forget it should only be 25% water change not all the water that way you should not have to use a kettle or warm water from the tap we just use straight cold water from the tap we have three fish tanks being doing it this way for awhile never lost any fish also remember to wash the filter in the bucket of water you just emptyied from the tank. but i dont know if this is write but it works and all our friends that have fish do it the same way. also a number of pet shops do it this way to and that what they told us to do. :unsure:

many thanks for this post, answers tonnes of questions in one go, and its been pinned so if i forget anything i can come back and read it again :D

Hi all.
Can I do my water changes with 100% rain water as ive tested it & its nitrate free?

Thank you! This was very helpful to a new person.
I have a new 60 gallon tank and I am really taking my time to learn the correct way to handle my new hobby. Thanks again :rolleyes:

We found that the 15litre bottle of water for the water cooler is really easy and cleaner water.

we tested the water with a fish tank water testing kit before we placed it into the tank and came out with some great results.

I wouldn't mind finding a gravel cleaner that will just pick up the waste and old food instead of syphoning out the water too some times we have to do a 50% water change to get those extra bits.

I have been cycling for 2 weeks now and the ammonia is processing in at least 24 hours.
For 2 days now the nitrate test has been going purple as soon as it hits the water,i presume this means off the scale,and it ends up a weird greeny purple colour.But today when i tested the water the ammonia is about .50.I will just carry on bringing it up to 3 or 4 but a bit perplexed as to why the ammonia hasnt fully gone this morning.

oops wrong thread.... will post on cycling thread :blush:

Tank Maintenance

[*]Get a siphon started in one of two ways. Here is the less hygienic way: Suck on the smaller end until water just passes the highest point of the vac tube (you can clasp your hands around the tube if you don't want to directly touch the tube with your mouth). Quickly put the end into the bucket. The more hygienic way is to purchase a self-starter kit. Just put it in the tank and fill the cylinder with water..lift it up and let it start to drain then dip it back in the water and you should have a suction after that. Either way you chose, water will begin flowing from the tank to the bucket without you doing any work. Gravitational potential energy does it for you!

Thanks to wuvmybetta for the self-starting kit suggestion and Irf for the possibility of metals in hot water notice.

:sick: Don't do it the unsanitary way. :sick: I couldn't get mine to start, so I tried this and ended up swallowing a nice amount of fish water. :sick: NOT fun! I was coughing and spitting up water EVERYWHERE, my room was soaked. :crazy:

:blush: Such a dumb mistake :blush:

You need technique...A quick powerful suck then turn it to the bucket. :lol:

Great information. I wish I read the whole thing before doing my water change. My mom was helping and cleaned my filter in tap water...I wasn't happy when I found out. Is this really that harmful for my fish?

may i quickly ask. i have one of those magnetic algae remover things but i have noticed since using it i have some small scratches on the inside of my tank. would it be caused by the magnetic thingy???

i have one of those magnetic algae remover things but i have noticed since using it i have some small scratches on the inside of my tank. would it be caused by the magnetic thingy???

You have to be careful with those.

It probably wasn't the algae remover itself that caused the scratches, but it's very easy to go too close to the substrate and trap a bit of grit/sand between the cleaner and the glass, which will then be dragged all over the tank, causing the scratches.

Personally, I've attached a piece of scouring pad to the end of one of those razor blade scrapers, and use that to remove algae. Not quite as convenient as the magnetic ones, but works a treat! :good:

may i quickly ask. i have one of those magnetic algae remover things but i have noticed since using it i have some small scratches on the inside of my tank. would it be caused by the magnetic thingy???

you should need the magnet..if you have a sucker or two and if u change your water about once maybe twice a month

you should'nt need the magnet..if you have a sucker or two and if u change your water about once maybe twice a month

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back