Starting A Marine Aquarium

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Hi

my sister happily runs her tank without a skimmer so as you have been told ..........no skimmer required as long as you keep up the weekly water changes.

I would buy my lr from an old tank break down - better lr and less die off if they are local and you can get it in the tank quickly :good:

IMHO you don't have to wait three weeks to add cuc (you will need these, even though you said you didn't want them) - just test your water after a couple of days and go by the results of that, probably be about a week if the lr is cured :good: then carry on testing and it is likely you will be able to add a couple of small fish the following week after a big water change :good: you can post your results on here and we will guide you :nod:

It is possible to put everything in at once if you are transfering from an existing tank with lr and every thing is done quickly so the bacteria doesn't die off (much)- but most people are not able to do this so, testing is essential.

Slow and easy is the way to avoid (costly) mistakes :good:

Are you going to buy an RO unit, or maybe I missed that in your posts? They pay for themselves really quickly :good:

Be very wary of LFs.............many only want your money, we on the other hand just want to see you with a nice environment for your animals :good:

Read, read and then read some more - there are so many good threads here on tff that you could happily sit down for a whole day with a laptop, notepad, sweeties and something to drink - enjoy every minute

seffie x

:fish:

I am not sure what CUC sis. For the Ro i don't think i'll need it. I'm going to use the filter i have now and when i do weekly water changes i'll be using the same cyclone vacuum thingie to clean the sand. I hope it doesn't such the sand in as well :(

Seffieuk,
I was surprised when I was told to wait so long to add something. It's to age the water, while making sure all die off and the nitrogen cycle has completed. However, he has bred sharks in several public aquariums (1 was the first time that species had been bred in captivity), amongst other things he's done, and is currently starting another project in our local zoo so I'm going to listen to him.

CUC is clean up crew. Ususally snails, hermits and such. The sand will get sucked up. It takes practice to hover the siphon above the sand just enough to suck detritus up but not get a lot of sand. (I have sand in my cichlid tank)

Have you read that information I posted for you? You should've known what a CUC is if you read it :(

That's interesting KJ, wow breeding sharks, amazing :good:

Still however can't get my head round why you would have to age the water! Everything beneficial is in the lr and sand and the water changes will take care of any build up, maybe I am missing something - wouldn't be the first time :lol:

Seffie x

Omega, the live rock is your filter and I doubt you will be vacuming the sand with any success - apart from that you will not need to with the correct clean up crew :good: If you intend to keep corals then you really will need to use RO water.

A shopping list:

Extra power head or two (for the tank) - I went for the KORALIA as recomended by the guys on here, I got the Koralia 2 but you could buy a couple of K1 or nanos (check out ebay)

Refractometer, don't bother with a hydrometer - again ebay

Bucket of marine salt - don't bother getting packets, it's a false economy

Sand, you will need approx 20 1bs - don't bother with live sand - it will seed from the Live rock

Testing kits for nitrate, nitrite, ammonia and PH - just to start with you will need more a little later - Salifert tests are generally considered the best - prepare yourself for a shock on price!

Water container - food safe, Camping and General do them for a good price (that's if you are in the Uk)

Container to mix your water - empty salt container is ideal I find - see if lfs will give you one or sell for a couple of £s

Cheap power head for mixing water

Cheap heater to heat water when mixing

Syphon

Good quality tank scrubber and algae magnet - you get what you pay for here, don't go cheap! Ebay again

Ro unit from RO man - you can get one for about £65, a sound investment in the long run

Live Rock - you will need about 15/20 k - look to get it from a reefer breaking down a tank - if in the Uk check out the classifeds on ultimatereef.com (there is a lot on there at the moment) or ebay, or aquarists classified - you will get a better deal, less die off if it is local ( I transported mine for an hour in water and had little die off) and better rock with lovely coraline growth and more hitchhikers - a win, win situation

Good book about invertibrates

Good book about fish

Good book about corals (have a read of my thread for 'the book') if you intend keeping corals

My suggestion to you would be go slowly, plan and do your research - ask us loads of questions, we have all been in your situation and done the same You could go out and buy all this stuff from your lfs, BUT it will COST you a little time and planning can save you an awful lot of money and boy, you will need money because this is an adictive, expensive hobby

Seffie x

this is what i have so far...

Caribsea Aragonite 15 lbs Sand
pPETS-3761222t400.jpg

Instant Ocean Hydrometer
AS2141_1.jpg

Koralia hydor 1 400 gph - 2

Coralife bucket of salt

All are fine :good:

You have a few more things to get but you are on your way, exciting isn't it :nod: I would really recommend a refractor meter rather than the hydrometer but it is fine to start with :good:

Seffie x

mmmm...................well I would suggest there are several more things you need, check the list

Seffie x

i have a heater already, dont see why there will be alge there is no sun here where it is. i dont see anything else in the list that is really required for me.

The powerhead and test kit are the bare minimum equipment articles you need, along with a container for mixing salt if you are making your own water. You don't have enough flow to sustain the liverock from the standord tank, and test kits are needed to keep water quality up-to scratch :good: If using tap water you need water conditioner as well. From RO, you will need an RO unit, or water carriers to get it from a shop to home for use. RO is needed for corals unless your home water supply is nitrate, phosphate, copper and silicate free, or your corals will struggle. Those you must have missed when reading the list ;)

i'm not adding corals, i have a test kit, i have powerheads. why are the same questions being asked LOL. i have the following.

powerheads
heater,
30gal
sand
hydrometer
declorinator
and a filter to remove larger dabre
bucker for mixing salt-water

i don't need anything else but LR and fish.

Nope, all esentials are in the list, sorry, must have missed them above :blush:

If you want a light to see the fish by, a single T8 and matching balast might be needed?

All the best
Rabbut

Nope, all esentials are in the list, sorry, must have missed them above :blush:

If you want a light to see the fish by, a single T8 and matching balast might be needed?

All the best
Rabbut

You didn't miss them Rabbut, they were not there! So, you are not going to get algae in your tank because there is no sun :no: well, you can always buy the things needed later :nod:

How are you going to heat and mix the salt water with only one heater or are you going to buy ready made salt water?

Lighting, Rabbut has a good point which I forgot :good: have you changed the lighting from the fw tank?

The questions are aimed at making you think - not to get at you :good:

Seffie x

Most reactions

Back