Started Cycling or I think I have

SHERRIFFP

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
As some of you may know Ive got a new aquarium Fluval 240. Add active substrate and a black substrate on top. Got a few plants waiting for the drift wood to sink.

Orderd a API testing kit of amazon.

Been watching some videos on you tube regarding nitrogen cycling. I don't know anyone with a tank I watched that getting some media from a tank is the best way to do this. Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG-20210430-WA0007.jpeg
    IMG-20210430-WA0007.jpeg
    180.1 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20210429_202108.jpg
    IMG_20210429_202108.jpg
    308.4 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
As some of you may know Ive got a new aquarium Fluval 240. Add active substrate and a black substrate on top. Got a few plants waiting for the drift wood to sink.

Orderd a API testing kit of amazon.

Been watching some videos on you tube regarding nitrogen cycling. I don't know anyone with a tank I watched that getting some media from a tank is the best way to do this. Any ideas?
Tetra safestart will order some

Depending what type of plants and how many, there re two ways to cycle. Please note that Tetra Safe Start, or any other bacterial starter, will not cycle a tank instantly, they just speed up the cycle.

For just a few plants, or slow growing plants you will need to do a fishless cycle with ammonia.

If there are a lot of fast growing plants, you can do a plant cycle.

For a plant cycle to be successful, there must be enough plants to remove all the ammonia made my a sensibly stocked tank. Slow growing plants do not take up as much ammonia as fast growing plants so where these are used it is better to do a fishless cycle.

I've orderd API version of quickstart both that and the water tester kit should be here tomorrow.

The API bacterial starter won't cycle a tank instantly either - none of them do.

Depending what type of plants and how many, there re two ways to cycle. Please note that Tetra Safe Start, or any other bacterial starter, will not cycle a tank instantly, they just speed up the cycle.

For just a few plants, or slow growing plants you will need to do a fishless cycle with ammonia.

If there are a lot of fast growing plants, you can do a plant cycle.

For a plant cycle to be successful, there must be enough plants to remove all the ammonia made my a sensibly stocked tank. Slow growing plants do not take up as much ammonia as fast growing plants so where these are used it is better to do a fishless cycle.
I ve read the article and found it interesting

It will help speed up the process won't it. I will add the APl bacteria tonight and and wait.

Ive both articles and going with the second option silent cycle I get some more plants today and will test water and eventually add 2 fish. Guppys i fancy or platies

Most bacterial starters will speed things up.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back