Spider wood/ Azalea Root

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

EndlersGame

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am setting out everything ready for an upcoming scape and I just wondered if spider wood releases much tannins into the water?

Should I boil it and leave it to soak until the tank is ready?
It'll be a few weeks at least until i have the tank here to work on.

Thanks in advance.

Spider wood is known for releasing tannins at a slower rate and to a lesser degree than other types of driftwood.

I'm not fond on boiling any type of driftwood in the first place, but it is ok to do so. A good soak until desired outcome is enough.

Boiling will break a part of the cellulose in the wood and it could become a slightly more attractive food source for some bacteria and fungus.

Spider wood is known for releasing tannins at a slower rate and to a lesser degree than other types of driftwood.

I'm not fond on boiling any type of driftwood in the first place, but it is ok to do so. A good soak until desired outcome is enough.

Boiling will break a part of the cellulose in the wood and it could become a slightly more attractive food source for some bacteria and fungus.

I was reading a thread here the other day about how boiling caused the wood to drip sap where it wasn't before. Than it was a question of whether or not the sap was good/bad for the tank which I believe in this case they deemed it bad/poisonous. I've always just let it soak myself and usually in the tank it's going into if it's already up and running. I don't mind the tannins and the benefits of them.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back