Something White On My White Molly

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

bamf

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I just joined the community and I have questions, I hope you guys can help. I have 2 separate problems:

Issue #1
I bought 15 gal column aquarium on April 15. I set it up and run the filter for 24 h before i add any fish to the tank. After 1 day we bought and added 2 glow tetra fish, 1 black male molly and 2 guppies (male and female). After about 12h one of my tetra died, I am not sure if it was stressed or I think the dude at the store was kinda rough with it and might hurt the fish because, the dead tetra was never as active as the rest of the fish we got. Anyways we took it out immediately and because I thought we can get more fish even they said its a small aquarium, I went and got 1 female molly, 3 new tetras, 2 zebra danio and 2 glow danio. I know it sounds crowded, but all of the fish looked like they were getting along, all were eating, swimming and etc. All looked normal. After about 1-2 days I noticed that my orange glow tetra doesn't eat. I was feeding them with tropical flakes and all of the fish goes on the surface to eat, but the orange one doesn't. This continued for about 1 more day and then i noticed that if a flake sinks the orange tetra will go and eat it, so she seems like she is feeding just fine if the food sinks. i went to the store and bought tropical pallets so I can experiment and see if she will eat. The sinking pallet balls seems kinda big and all fish play with it until it melts down so they can eat it but a good thing is that my orange tetra eats them just fine. As of right now she still refuses to eat from the surface, she eats flakes or pallets but barely. Is that normal? I feel like she might has lost appetite and it worries me. Besides this she swims just fine with the rest of the tetras and no other worrisome behavior. Any advice?

Issue #2
The first time I added the tropical pallets my male molly was trying to grab it from the gravel and he had hard time doing that (i read their lips are pointing up so they eat from the surface). After a while he succeed and ate the pallet just fine, but I noticed he got like a white dot on his lip. Looked like he got his lip busted in the gravel just no blood. In one day the white dot grow bigger it was about 1 mm circle. At this point my female molly didn't have anything on her. I got worried that my fish is getting sick and I start researching on the internet. I was confused if its ich/ick, columnaris, fungus etc. In 1 day the white circle on his lips started to get even bigger and I noticed that my female molly has like a light gray doted line on her back, so I was like
shout.gif
OMG IT SPREADS! lol I freaked out went to pet smart shared my problem they gave me All In One Ramedy that supposed to attack broad range of fish disease, it says that it treats external parasites, viral, fungal and bacterial infections. On Friday I followed the instructions I took of my carbon active filter, added 1 tablet from the medicine for each 5 gal (3 tablets total). On Saturday I went out of state but my husband stayed home and was giving 3 tablets on Saturday and 3 tablets on Sunday as directed to the tank. I came home and i don't know if I just want so much that I might imagine but i feel like my male molly white lip is getting smaller but also it looks like its kinda bitten. My female is still having this gray line and it looks like one idea bigger than before. I feel like on the sides of her head she has something silverish too but i am not sure. The water is a bit cloudy so I let the filter run without the active carbon I don't know if that will do anything. My male has 2 new white small barely visible dots on two of his fin I feel it is not columnaris because the disease would kill my fish within 36 h (as I read somewhere).  If the ramedy is not helping then my molly is not having ick. So what is this thing?  Also something weird that is going on from 2 days is that the mollies are mating they haven't done it before. Before they were more isolated from the rest of the fish, mostly sitting in the corners in pair. Or swimming by them selves. I really thought that they were just either feeling too crowded in the tank or that my female is pregnant and trying to give a birth. My male molly is having long constant poops also.

Please help with advice what should I do. I don't want my fish to be sick
sad2.gif
sad2.gif
sad2.gif

Some more info about my aquarium:
Aquarium size: Column 15 gal
Total fish: 12
  • 2 black molly (male&female)
  • 2 guppies (male&female)
  • 4 glow tetra
  • 2 zebra danio
  • 2 glow danio
Plants: 2
Decoration: 1 rock
Water type: fresh water
Days aquarium is operating: 10
Water changes until now:  1 water change on the 7th day 20% of water were replaced
Gravel vacuum: 1 time on the 7th day
Last water testing:
AMONIA - 0.5
NITRATE - 0
NITARTE - safe
TOTAL HARDNESS - 75 (soft)
TOTAL CHLORINE - 0
TOTAL ALKALINITY - 0 (Low)
pH - 7.2

Welcome to the hobby, and to the forum
welcomeani.gif

You have put too many fish in a tank that is not cycled, which is a common mistake for those new at fishkeeping. I don't think lack of cycling is the reason for the white spots on the fish, but it might be the reason that your tetra died. Remember that often those working at the LFS (local fish store) don't really know what they're doing in regards to fish; their job is to sell you fish, not keep them alive.
Please read this resource on cycling tanks: http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/421488-cycling-your-new-fresh-water-tank-read-this-first/
You are now in a fish-in cycle. We generally recommend that you do a fishless cycle because it is more humane then the fish-in cycle.
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/433769-rescuing-a-fish-in-cycle-gone-wild-part-i/
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/433778-rescuing-a-fish-in-cycle-gone-wild-part-il/

For now, you need to change your water, your ammonia levels are too high.

In regards to the nitrate levels, what does "safe" mean? Also, what exactly is this medicine you put in your tank?
Good luck!

Blough said:
Welcome to the hobby, and to the forum
welcomeani.gif

You have put too many fish in a tank that is not cycled, which is a common mistake for those new at fishkeeping. I don't think lack of cycling is the reason for the white spots on the fish, but it might be the reason that your tetra died. Remember that often those working at the LFS (local fish store) don't really know what they're doing in regards to fish; their job is to sell you fish, not keep them alive.
Please read this resource on cycling tanks: http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/421488-cycling-your-new-fresh-water-tank-read-this-first/
You are now in a fish-in cycle. We generally recommend that you do a fishless cycle because it is more humane then the fish-in cycle.
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/433769-rescuing-a-fish-in-cycle-gone-wild-part-i/
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/433778-rescuing-a-fish-in-cycle-gone-wild-part-il/

For now, you need to change your water, your ammonia levels are too high.

In regards to the nitrate levels, what does "safe" mean? Also, what exactly is this medicine you put in your tank?
Good luck!
Thank you for your reply and advice!
To test the water I am using Tetra Care 6 in 1 Aquarium test strips and Ammonia Aquarium test strips by Tetra Care as well. My nitrate and nitrite are both 0 and below it says "safe" that is why I wrote in my post above "safe", sorry if I confused you. My ammonia was 0 it started increasing after I started the treatment with the pills. The medicine is called literally  All-In-One Remedy by marinerland here is a link to it http://www.marineland.com/Products/Food-and-Water-Care/Marineland-All-In-One-Remedy.aspx but honestly I dont think it is working really, because nothing is changed with my molly condition, in fact now the male one has more white dots on his fins and tail, and the line on my female is even more visible.
no.gif
The rest of the fish seems fine, but I started thinking maybe my mollies are missing salt water. I hate doing that but I might just go and return them (I don't want to torture the poor animals maybe the shop will give them better treatment) and not mix mollies with tetras anymore if they don't like the freshwater conditions. I really wish I can help them somehow, maybe get different medicine, but i dont know what I am dealing with. I tried to attached pictures but they seem too big to be attached :( I will be doing 25% water chance tomorrow because today is the last day of the treatment with the medicine so I couldn't change the water for 5 days. 
If you want yoi can see my mollies on here:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B1zgOVkkawyaSFdnU185SW5DdkE

Today I did 25% water change + vacuum the gravel. The treatment with all in one Ramedy is over and my black male molly white thing on the lip is like 50% smaller, but he has this white milky spots on his fins...it might be fin rot? or some sort of fungus?...I don't even know anymore...

Last water testing:
pH 7.2
nitrate 0
nitrite 0
chlorine 0
amonia 0.5
alkalinity 0
hardness 75

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online