Someone Please Id

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

aaroncook.ac8

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi guys can someone please id these three plants for me and some advice on how there are looking at the moment and how I should feed them etc
ad8b591a57a9c9fe965e24a0d74fc1fd.jpg
03857b7985ee3802aa19db4abbaa25cd.jpg

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

top photo - large plant on right is an amazon sword, don't know what the one on the left is though, fine grass stuff could be a lilaopsis but I'm not certain

bottom photo - looks like mostly cryptocoryne but the plant in the foreground is java moss and will do better tied to wood. Not sure it'll grow in the substrate, I've never come across anyone that has planted it in the substrate 

To add (I hope)...

Photo 1, sword (Echinodorus grisebachii, var. bleherae) on right, Water Sprite (Ceratopteris sp.) on left, foreground likely Hairgrass (Eleocharis acicularis).

Photo 2, the rosette plants are all crypts (Cryptocoryne sp.), I won't attempt to isolate the species as these always confuse me.  The four in the centre as Akasha said look like Java Moss (Taxiphyllum barbieri).

The Ceratopteris (Water Sprite) is one of three species.  This plant can be grown floating especially if it is the C. cornuta species, and it is ideal floating.

You will likely need a comprehensive liquid fertilizer.  The sword will benefit from substrate tabs as well.

Byron.

aaroncook.ac8 said:
Hi guys can someone please id these three plants for me and some advice on how there are looking at the moment and how I should feed them etc
ad8b591a57a9c9fe965e24a0d74fc1fd.jpg
03857b7985ee3802aa19db4abbaa25cd.jpg

Thanks guy what do you think of this healthy or not if not what shall I do
28e605e06607274c5c285b23d8fc0aa3.jpg

As Akasha mentioned, moss is best tied to wood or rock.  You can sometimes fix the end in a crevice, or you can use black cotton thread.  Once it settles, it will spread and attach itself via roots to the wood or rock.

Also, all plants usually go through an adjustment period when moved to a new environment, as here (store to your tank).

Byron.

I've found with the moss, once it's gone brown the brown bit is dead and won't recover. It's best to cut that bit off and disguard it. Moss has no root system so even by cutting bits off you won't kill it. The green bit is still alive and will just carry on growing

:)

aaroncook.ac8 said:
:)

Whqt about these will they recover
f9fe72fcfb47c1b1e7732a5abed52962.jpg
fde49f5983b321413c7be94d21ebfe19.jpg
43b88eb523a25c6ea16d06b43a3616a7.jpg

I have all the liquid fertilizers I think :)

yes, it's perfectly normal to see cryptocoryne 'melt' ... by that I mean die back somewhat. Once it settles it will re-grow. You may find it disappears completely, what ever you do don't think it's dead and rip it out and throw it away. Cryptocoryne does this and it's perfectly normal. It doesn't like to be moved so once it's established and looking healthy leave it be :)

Difficult to answer your question without knowing the data on the lighting and just what fertilizers you are using, and how much/often.  

Crypts are notorious for "melting" when there is any significant change to their environment.  This can be as little as just changing the light tube from an old one to a new one.  Some species are worse for this than others.  But if the leaves do turn to mush (the "melt") just clean them out (siphon them up) and leave the roots undisturbed; in most cases the plants recover and new leaves will grow.

Other plants once they start sending out new leaves can be trimmed of the older dying leaves.  A plant leaf that yellows or deteriorates will never reverse the process, it will die (in time if not immediately).  Provided one sees new growth, there is nothing to worry about.

Byron.

Hey Byron, may I ask how you are clipping your plants underwater? I've always been a bit wary of sticking outdoor plant clippers (that have been used on multiple outdoor plants) in my fish tank.

HarpyFishLover said:
Hey Byron, may I ask how you are clipping your plants underwater? I've always been a bit wary of sticking outdoor plant clippers (that have been used on multiple outdoor plants) in my fish tank.

I would agree not to use those.  I use my fingernails primarily, but for tough stem plants like Java Fern I have a pair of scissors that are only used in the fish tanks, never elsewhere.  I dry them well after use so they don't rust.

Byron said:
Difficult to answer your question without knowing the data on the lighting and just what fertilizers you are using, and how much/often.  

Crypts are notorious for "melting" when there is any significant change to their environment.  This can be as little as just changing the light tube from an old one to a new one.  Some species are worse for this than others.  But if the leaves do turn to mush (the "melt") just clean them out (siphon them up) and leave the roots undisturbed; in most cases the plants recover and new leaves will grow.

Other plants once they start sending out new leaves can be trimmed of the older dying leaves.  A plant leaf that yellows or deteriorates will never reverse the process, it will die (in time if not immediately).  Provided one sees new growth, there is nothing to worry about.

Byron.
I have 30w two 15W tubes and theses fertilizers
0ea99e83af7ebeeee882d3be059ec0eb.jpg
and dose to the instructions on the back of each one also another question sorry to be a pain but does purigen take the fertilizers out of the water ?

aaroncook.ac8 said:

Byron.
I have 30w two 15W tubes and theses fertilizers
0ea99e83af7ebeeee882d3be059ec0eb.jpg
and dose to the instructions on the back of each one also another question sorry to be a pain but does purigen take the fertilizers out of the water ?

I also have root tabs

OK.  With the lighting, I need to know the tank dimensions so I can relate the two.  And also what is the spectrum of the tubes.  This may be printed at one end of the tubes.  Give me all that is printed there, and for each unless they are the same type.

To the fertilizers...I use Seachem too, but you want to be careful and not overdo it, as that can bring on algae issues.  I'll have a better idea when I know the light data, but for the present you can use Flourish Comprehensive Supplement on the day following the water change; probably roughly the recommended dose or a bit less.  You can also divide this dose and administer half about three or four days apart.  The second product I would suggest is the Flourish Trace, on the day after you dose the Comprehensive, and here again you can divide the dose and administer half about three days apart.

I would also suggest Flourish Iron, the day after the Trace or with it; this too can be divided and administered 3-4 days apart.  Don't use the iron on the same day as the Comprehensive.

Now, for the other products shown in the photo.  Phosphorus I would not add at all.  As you are running a basic low-tech or natural method planted tank, there will be sufficient phosphorus in the fish foods plus the Comprehensive, and very little is needed by plants.  This can easily promote algae.  I also wouldn't use the Nitrogen, at least not yet.  Plants prefer nitrogen as ammonium, and they also take up nitrates (you will see on the label that this Nitrogen is ammonium and nitrate) but there is probably going to be enough of this occurring naturally.  I have a tank without fish and just some plants, and I never dose nitrogen but the plants are doing fine.  The Potassium shouldn't be necessary; I thought I needed this, but it did nothing, so I stopped.

The last thing you have there is Excel.  This is a so-called liquid carbon supplement.  I will never put this in a tank with fish.  At the recommended dose, it will kill some plants (Vallisneria is especially sensitive, and moss sometimes), but if it should happen to get overdosed, it has the capability of killing plants, fish and bacteria.  It contains glutaraldehyde (and water), a toxic disinfectant used in hospitals to sterilize.  I personally see no sense in putting something like this in a fish tank.  And once things get going, there will be sufficient natural carbon from the CO2 produced by the breakdown of organics in the substrate as well as respiration of fish, plants and some bacteria.

You mention the substrate tabs, presumably Flourish Tabs, and I would put one of these close to the large sword, and replace it every 2-3 months.  One somewhere in the middle of the crypts might be helpful too, though I don't usually do this for crypts.  Swords though are heavy feeders, and the substrate tabs have the benefit of not getting into the water column like liquid fertilizers, so algae is less likely to take advantage.

Byron.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back