Soft Shelled Turtle Wanted!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

LiveYourLife

Fishaholic
Reaction score
So, Im looking for a soft shelled turtle to live in my Rio 125.
I did have one before, Sid, But sadly he passed away aged 12.
They are such wee characters to watch, so I would like one to replace Sid.
No other turtles or fish are kept in the tank, so they would have the run of the house so to speak!
5* home awaits the lucky guy!!
Male Or Female,any age, Not fussed!!

Try mixmaster jay he posts a bit, he rescues turtles (well his girlfriend does) he might be able to help

LFS I work at has loads for sale, big and small, if you fancy travelling down to Edinburgh. http://www.aceaquaedinburgh.com/
No idea how postage would work, would probably cost a bit and be at your own risk...so you'd probably be best travelling.

Thanks, I dont have transport at the moment..car crash, and not sure how long it would be til i get a new car..I would pay for him to be shipped up here.

The website does say "We aim to provide top quality livestock that you the customer can either order on line if it is possible to ship by courier..." so I'll ask tomorrow for you if this is possible for the turtles, not sure if it would be.

If it was being sold in store we'd ask for full details about the setup, so info on filtration, lighting and just general info about how its set up will probably be needed, if you could post it here :).

I think the species is Trionyx sinensis.

yeh thats the name of him.
Ok, well its been set up for a couple of years..
It has an internal filter..which I cant remember the name of as Its so old!!
an Eheim Professional 2 external filter
wavepoint high output t5 lighting system
It has a sand substrate, live plants (although the turtles always shred them)
three 'ramps' or 'docks' so to speak
4 caves

anything else needed?

you can't keep a softshell in a rio 125 unless its a hatchling a male gets to around 1ft and a female gets around 2ft so you will need a 5ft x 3 x 2 minimum if you end up with a female. Recommended size for a single adult Apalone ferox would be a 75 gallon aquarium as a minimum (90 or larger preferred) for a male. It is not recommended that female Apalone ferox be maintained in conventional aquariums. They are too large as adults and require an extreme amount of space. Stock tanks would be the ideal choice, with a minimum requirement of 400 gallons (600 gallon or larger preferred). This will provide adequate swimming area, as well as assisting the filtration in maintaining good water quality. For additional male Apalone ferox, I would recommend adding 75 gallons of tank space per additional turtle at a minimum. For a female, add no less than 100 gallons of space, per turtle.

This turtle does bask, so a basking spot will need to be provided. They prefer deep, soft-bottomed habitats, with a lot of vegetation. A shelf that is submerged just below the surface of the water that allows them to rest underwater yet reach their neck up and breath is also recommended. Either artificial plants or aquatic plants are suggested, although both types my be dislodged by the softshell when it buries in the substrate. The substrate, if used, should be sand. UVB 10.0 lighting is required, as well as a heat lamp over the basking area. A submersible heater is also recommended. Sharp decorations and rough terrain features should be avoided, as they can often bring injury to softshelled turtles. Water depth should be as deep as possible.

he/she wouldnt have been kept in the Rio 125 for all of his life!
the rio 125 is the tank I use to bring up young hatchlings, until they are strong enough swimmers to go into my 'matured' tank.
That tank sits in the kitchen, its
67inches long, 38inches wide and 25inches tall.
it has sand as a substrate also.
It too, like the Rio 125 has three 'docks' (basking spots)
One with a heat lamp..a zoo med reptisun HO UVB
Both tanks have a submersible heater.
Both tanks have been cycld for years, and continue to run even with nothing in them.
The only difference between them,apart from their size is that the rio 125 is not fully filled with water..the other is as full as it will get.

you will also need an external filter larger than what you would need for the tank you are going to use as they produce alot of ammonia and poop and a uvb 10.0 bulb or tube as they need this to scoot (shed shell or regenerate shell) and other wise you will get shell rot and other fungal bacterial infections and the uvb 10.0 produces vitemin d wich is essential for turtles, and a heat/basking light wich needs to be atleast 6" above the top of the shell away from the turtle perferbly higher as they need to dryout fully when basking

Scratches or scrapes can easily become infected if soft-shelled turtles are kept in enclosures with poor water quality. Prepare their cage furnishings carefully and thoughtfully. Use a couple of tablespoons of sea salt or aquarium salt per gallon of water and keep some Acriflavine and Silvadene® cream on hand for emergencies.

Acriflavine: Many tropical fish keepers using Acriflavine suggest treating animals with an accompanying rise in the water temperature. Warm water temperatures in the suggested 85º to 88º F range can be deadly to soft-shelled turtles!
Betadine: Betadine (iodine) is toxic to some soft-shelled turtles, especially members of the genus Aspideretes. To be safe, do not use iodine-containing products with any soft-shelled turtles.

Silvadene® is an antibiotic cream formulated for use with human burn victims. It requires a physician’s prescription, but is an important part of a turtle keeper’s arsenal of tools. It has proven very effective in treating sores and shell problems in both soft-shelled and hard-shelled turtles.
Salt: Many soft-shelled turtle species are found in brackish water in nature (especially Trionyx and Pelochelys). Salt inhibits the growth of fungus and certain bacteria, so the addition of salt can be beneficial to keeping them healthy.

Air Temperature: Low to Mid 80's

Basking Temperature: Mid to High 80's

Water Temperature: Mid 70's

Well as I said: I believe what we have is Trionyx sinensis anyway...

Though looking now, that should be Pelodiscus sinensis.

So the 125 would be fine for a good while, but be cramped for an adult male/much too small for an adult female.

But they don't require massive tanks, they only get ~8"-12".

I dont think they would be suited to your bigger tank at all though, they like shallow water they can breath..

The Rio 125 setup sounds excellent for young one/s.

There are loads of species of "softshell turtles" and they vary greatly, which species were you specifically looking for?

thats cool then that you have a large tank for one i was just making sure that you had the facts for these awesome turtles as you know they more than often get dumped left right and center not saying your going to do that at all we are trying to sort of educate people who are thinking of buying a turtle to cut the dumpings down and i know you have had one before and im not having a go like i said just making sure you do know everything about these turtles

three fingers thats the males that get to 1ft the females get to 2ft

jay

i thought you were typing awfully fast Jay!
No I fully understand why you were telling me those facts, I have a notice up in all of my local petshops urging people who are thinking about just 'dumping' animals to give them to me so I can give place them in the right re homing centre, i even do a service where the person tells me what time and where they are leaving the animal and I pick it up. It frustrates me when people buyan animal because it looks good, or whatever without knowing the needs of the animal..

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back