Soft Shell Turtle

guineapigqueen

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I visited my LFS and I feel in love with a Soft Shell Turtle.
They have little piggy noses on them!

Could anyone tell me what kind of size they will grow to?
Are they fully aquatic or semi?

Thanks Emma x

well they grow veyr slow and about 1 cm bigger then they r probley

theres some info on them is this month pfk if you can lay your hands on a copy. might also be on they're website.

I have been trying to find the artical but I can not.
I was thinking of getting a small guy they are around an inch long.
See I only have an Aquastart 320 to house them in so I dont want one if they grow too big!
The adult I saw was 5 inches and it was digging in the gravel!

Emma x

thell grow depending on your tank

They won't grow to the size of the tank you keep them in- you should be especially careful about buying turtles, the asian soft shelled specimens for example can reach 36inchs in length.

See I only have an Aquastart 320 to house them in so I dont want one if they grow too big!

Emma x

What is the dimensions this aquastart 320 and what equipment comes with it exactly?

A quick search on google turned up some decent site on them, there are numerous types of soft shelled turtles so you need to actually find out what type of softshell turtle you want first;

http://www.anapsid.org/softshell.html

They won't grow to the size of the tank you keep them in- you should be especially careful about buying turtles, the asian soft shelled specimens for example can reach 36inchs in length.

Emma x

What is the dimensions this aquastart 320 and what equipment comes with it exactly?

A quick search on google turned up some decent site on them, there are numerous types of soft shelled turtles so you need to actually find out what type of softshell turtle you want first;

if you keep them in a small tank they will stop growing,,,,, put them in a big one and they will start growing again thats a fact

of course. i am especially interested in this. I get PFK weekly. Its great. I know the editor personally you know

of course. i am especially interested in this. I get PFK weekly. Its great. I know the editor personally you know

Whats the editors name then?

Edit: Also, PFK is amonthly magazine, I think this guy may be lying...

The magazine is edited by Karen Youngs. The team of editorial staff includes technical writer Jeremy Gay and website editor (and former technical editor) Matt Clarke. Regular contributing authors include Nick Fletcher, Mary Bailey, Dr Peter Burgess, Dr David Ford, Dr Sean Evans, Dr Neale Monks :blink: , Dr Phil Hunt, Dr Heok Hee Ng, Ian Fuller, Peter Cottle, Richard Hardwick, John Rundle, Chris Ralph, Daphne Layley, James Allison, Les Holliday and Pete Liptrot. Former editors of the PFK include Steve Windsor and Nick Fletcher

The magazine is edited by Karen Youngs. The team of editorial staff includes technical writer Jeremy Gay and website editor (and former technical editor) Matt Clarke. Regular contributing authors include Nick Fletcher, Mary Bailey, Dr Peter Burgess, Dr David Ford, Dr Sean Evans, Dr Neale Monks :blink: , Dr Phil Hunt, Dr Heok Hee Ng, Ian Fuller, Peter Cottle, Richard Hardwick, John Rundle, Chris Ralph, Daphne Layley, James Allison, Les Holliday and Pete Liptrot. Former editors of the PFK include Steve Windsor and Nick Fletcher

A quick google search I suppose...

Emma x

if you keep them in a small tank they will stop growing,,,,, put them in a big one and they will start growing again thats a fact
i dont have a sofe shell turtle so have no idea how to look after one, but if what you say is correct, they stop growing depending on the size of the tank, surly that cant be good for them, its like having a goldfish in a small bowl, it stunts the growth causing earlier death. to be honest i think thats cruel, in the wild they would grow to be full sized so why should so stop them from doing that just so it can fit in your tank,
i dont want to start an argument, nor am i tying to be aggressive, but i felt i had to say something

AND BY THE WAY IF YOU KNOW THE EDITORS THEY GIVE YOU FREE SECRET ISSUES SO :lol:

i agree with fish boy. This stunts their growth and can be particularly bad if they are young.

Most reactions

Back