snail help

~nessy~

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
can anyone help me on how u know when a snail is dead as it hasnt moved in 24 hrs and has recently got brown things on it like really small bts of poo any help would be so grateful

vanessa

hes an apple snail i can try and put a pic up but its a bad one hopefully that worked his shells a bit warn where the circle meets and it looks like its chipping at the front and u know his sucker which he moves around on its kinda curled in and hes been semi open so u can see its been curled - im really worried i love the little thing if i can do anything then i will do

DSCF0001.jpg

I know this sounds a little weird but pick him up and try to open him up like he would be if he was moving around. If he pulls back hes fine. If you can open it without him pulling back hes dead or almost dead. Its how I found out my snail had died.

he pulled back - does that mean hes ok - and why didnt he move in the last day at all - and ive just noticed some of his shell is broken :-( will that kill him if hes not already gone is there any way i can help him bring his shell back or anything

Its good he pulled back sometimes snails sleep for days. Hes going to be ok :) How badly is his shell broken?

u know the circle bit on his side the middle of the circle isnt there and it has small little circles taken out and at the top of his opening it looks like it chipping away - when he was stationary and didnt move he had brown bits all over his inner bits what are they is that a parasite sorry about all the questions and thank you for answering them so quickly youve made me happy to know hes not dead without leaving it so i think he is and do something about it :) thank you

thank you so much for the help :) so happy now :D im going to sit and watch him to see if anything happens

~nessy~
Did everything work out ok with your snail? I have about 50 apple snails in our tanks and they are one of my favorite creatures. They have such personality and play around in the bubbles and stuff. Sometimes one of them just lays there (or floats ) for a day or more and you get worried but they usually just start moving around again.
I thought you might like to know about www.applesnail.net . There is so much info there on snails you can find out almost anything you need to know.
Check the forums if you have a question. People there are snail crazy. Like people here are fish crazy. I visit both forums daily.

-- itZme

i love my snail hes called father fred (dont ask some prist my mum meet on holiday :D ) and i would love to get more but noone is selling them over here at the time and as i was just new to the whole fish keeping thing and he was the one i most wanted and he wasnt acting like he normaly does moving around all the time lol i paniced and thought i killed him of somehow :-( but hes kinda alright now he moved around a bit yesterday watched him for around 2 hours his intenners came out a bit then went in and hes been kinda like he was before thanks for the reply though :D

Most reactions

Back