New Nerite Snail Acclimation Time?

Nells250

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
HI folks - today I decided to buy one nerite snail for Pearl the betta's tank. I hope it cleans my plants a bit, etc. I floated its bag in the tank (which Pearl actually LIKED!), then placed the snail on the substrate, purposely by some algae.

My question is, how long does it USUALLY take for these snails to acclimate and start moving around in their new home? I know it was alive when I bought it this afternoon, as I stood and watched all of them, and this one was moving along a plastic plant.

Incidentally, if anyone bothers to name their snails, I can't help but think a massive amount of them have the same name I have given this one: SPEEDY.

This morning Speedy the Snail was about 4 inches away. No visible difference in algae yet...

It was more easy to number them... When they start to breed the only chances to have some following. Is to give them license plates..

With bladder snail, we took the biggest, get them of the water let dry the shells a little and wrote a number on them with a sharpie pen...

Then we where bidding on the ones we thought will live the longer. And where able to record the exploits of each individuals.

What kind of algea do you have? I know they eat soft film algae, soft green algae, soft brown algae, and brown diatoms but other types not so sure.

What kind of algea do you have? I know they eat soft film algae, soft green algae, soft brown algae, and brown diatoms but other types not so sure.
I don't know the names of what I get, but I'd classify them as "soft" ;-)

I actually have a problem... I went against doctor's orders today because I just could not stand allowing "shmoo buildup" in my 2 little tanks. I'm not supposed to lift anything "heavier than a cup of coffee" with my left hand, but did it anyway, and did complete water changes.

Thing is, I notice that Speedy now is hanging out by the bubbles coming out of the small sponge filter, and I swear he's trying to escape. I don't know how he managed to get all the way across the tank so fast, but I'm worried he's trying to escape. I thought only mystery snails liked to escape tanks... Do nerites not like water changes?

My nerites can move pretty fast when they want to. Likely there is something of interest to him near the bubbles. They utilize the entire aquarium.

I guess I won't worry then. Just seems like he's trying to escape as I have yet to see him (her??) do that yet. Meanwhile, Pearl the betta is bubble-surfing. I wonder if she even knows there is something else alive in her little tank!
2024-01-04_5188.jpg

OK, so now Speedy is OUT of the water, on top of the air line. I did a quick search and YES these snails DO leave the water often. Funny, when I did my initial research into them I didn't read that detail!

One source claims nerites can be CURIOUS! What makes more sense is that they also spend some time out of the water in nature.

OK, so now Speedy is OUT of the water, on top of the air line. I did a quick search and YES these snails DO leave the water often. Funny, when I did my initial research into them I didn't read that detail!

One source claims nerites can be CURIOUS! What makes more sense is that they also spend some time out of the water in nature.
I find mine on the underside of the lid often.

Nerite snails going out of the water and eating on surfaces that have stuff on them is normal. I see it all the time. They alway return to the water. I've had mystery snails leave and fall out on the ground only to be found dried up the next morning though.

That's what I fear, it won't make it back!

FYI, I picked up a second, smaller snail for Betsy's tank. I call it Zip. A few times I've caught Betsy floating, staring at it!

HI folks - today I decided to buy one nerite snail for Pearl the betta's tank. I hope it cleans my plants a bit, etc. I floated its bag in the tank (which Pearl actually LIKED!), then placed the snail on the substrate, purposely by some algae.

My question is, how long does it USUALLY take for these snails to acclimate and start moving around in their new home? I know it was alive when I bought it this afternoon, as I stood and watched all of them, and this one was moving along a plastic plant.

Incidentally, if anyone bothers to name their snails, I can't help but think a massive amount of them have the same name I have given this one: SPEEDY.
Hello Nells. I've never acclimated my Nerites. I just dropped them in their new home. Make sure you keep the tank cover fitted securely. Nerites are good climbers and escape artists.

I didn't do anything but float Zip's bag for a short time, since it is winter and it was in the car.

Attachments

• P1410196.jpg
    P1410196.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 5

Most reactions

Back