Sliver Arowana

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

tractor911

Reaction score
I have got a baby silver arowana ( 5 inches ) and i want to know how to take care of it and how much it will grow in a month. Can anyone just tell me ?

Didnt do any research into the fish?  They can get up to three feet long so its highly suggested that unless you have a 600+ gallon setup to return/home it and if you do have tanks/ponds that size and the skills to maintain them I dont mean to be brash but its not too hard to look up

http://www.arowana.co.uk
http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/content.php?sid=69
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/arowana/fish.php

Keeping an healthy Arowana is rewarding but also extremely expensive over a long period of time. Seriously worth keeping if you can accommodate at fish that can grow over 3ft, that has an expensive diet and requires consistent water quality with excellent filtration. You should also look for drop eye (where 1 or both of its eyes are constantly looking down as this will significantly devalue this fish. 

This is very much a fish for the experienced fishkeeper, I do wish you luck though. Just be prepared for the amount of time and effort required to keep this fish.

If you researched about these magnificent beast, you'll learn they're quite easy to care for once you get the hang of it. Captive bred silver arowanas don't grow as large as wild specimens, but they will still require a large aquarium to house a fully grown adult. Right now I would suggest keeping yours in a 100gallon as these fish grow fairly quickly, 1" per month if your feeding on a daily basis. Temperature should be kept at 28 degrees celcius, water should be very soft, from 6-7 if possible. High filtration is a must, as well and some current.
I would suggest purchasing some dried almond leaves if you can, to add to your tank. The leaves will tan the water, creating a blackwater environment, where these arowanas come from and are most comfortable in.
I also need to advise you NOT to feed him live foods at any cost, unless you breed the feeders yourself and even if you do only once a month. Petstore bought feeders contain mass quantities of parasites and are packed with steroids, which will damage your arowana's liver over time.
Use high quality floating pellets as your arowanas main and stable diet, I would suggest Hikari brand floating carnivore sticks, New Life Spectrum floating pellets and gut loaded pinhead crickets. Floating foods will help prevent droop eye, where as live foods will force the arowana to look down and around in search of it's prey. Once your arowana has grown to 7"-10" you may start feeding it, chucks of salmon fillet, pieces of prawn and home bred mollies or platties. As a last reminder, keep a tight and secure lid on your tank as these fish will jump out of their tanks giving the chance, so don't leave any cracks open. I hope this helps, a lot of what I'm telling you is taken from experience, as I've kept almost every type of arowana, from silvers to Jardinies, to Asian greens to gold crossbacks and even super reds.

Dominus_XVIII said:
Captive bred silver arowanas don't grow as large as wild specimens.

Yeah... They do when given the correct environment... There's someone on here that owns a Silver Arowana nearly 3ft long 
huh.png

Paradise<3 said:
Captive bred silver arowanas don't grow as large as wild specimens.
 Yeah... They do when given the correct environment... There's someone on here that owns a Silver Arowana nearly 3ft long :huh:
Under the giving conditions of a enthusiast who can provide a closure of that scale, yes. In the hands of "normal" enthusiasts, such as the OP, the silver arowana won't grow as large as a wild specimen. Captive raised (by average fish enthusiast) silver arowanas will usually max out at 2'-2.5', in the home aquaria.

silver arowanas are the most common arowanas and generally do not get bigger than 12-14 inches in a home aquarium unless they are wild caught, and the tank is extremely large (300+ gallons)....most silvers are not wild caught, they are tank bred....

it is normally only the exotic varieties that are wild caught, such as jardini, red, gold, asian green, etc etc....i have kept many varieties in my time and generally fed them live fish and ocassionally hikari floating sticks, i had a jardini that was 2+ feet, which i raised from about 2 inches....

as others have said they are expensive fish to keep....

i would recommend an absolute minimum 100 gallon tank for any arowanna, and preferably 6 feet minimum in length....they will grow fairly quickly at first if well fed but growth will slow down once they hit 8-10 inches

Mikey1 said:
silver arowanas are the most common arowanas and generally do not get bigger than 12-14 inches in a home aquarium unless they are wild caught, and the tank is extremely large (300+ gallons)....most silvers are not wild caught, they are tank bred....
 it is normally only the exotic varieties that are wild caught, such as jardini, red, gold, asian green, etc etc....i have kept many varieties in my time and generally fed them live fish and ocassionally hikari floating sticks, i had a jardini that was 2+ feet, which i raised from about 2 inches....
 as others have said they are expensive fish to keep....
 I would recommend an absolute minimum 100 gallon tank for any arowanna, and preferably 6 feet minimum in length....they will grow fairly quickly at first if well fed but growth will slow down once they hit 8-10 inches
I don't think the first part you mentioned is entirely true, captive silvers don't usually max out at 12". If they are kept in a smaller aquarium they may stop growing after 12", because they have become stunted. Not trying to argue, just wanted to put that out there.

Also no Asian arowanas (such as greens, golds or reds) are wild caught, as they are protected under CITES. The parents may be caught at first to extract to the eggs/fry, but once the eggs or fry are taken the parents are released back into the wild. The babies are then chipped once they reach 5" and are prepared to be shipped for sale along with their certificate stating they are F1 gen captive bred/raised arowanas. If an individual purchases a wild caught Asian arowana, it was sold to them illegally.

Erm... If you want to say that Captive Bred Silvers only reach 12-14" then you really need to take a look at a thread on here somewhere... 1000 Gallon Project.

Paradise<3 said:
Erm... If you want to say that Captive Bred Silvers only reach 12-14" then you really need to take a look at a thread on here somewhere... 1000 Gallon Project.

i did not say it was impossible.....i said it was not common.....please note the words in bold.....

"silver arowanas are the most common arowanas and generally do not get bigger than 12-14 inches in a home aquarium unless they are wild caught, and the tank is extremely large"

I still think it is better to err on the side of caution and not say they might only reach 12", you know what people can be like and will take you literally, next thing you know we'll hve another member with a silver arrowana in a 3ft tank thinking it's all just great!

My silvers grew so much quicker than my pearl arrowanas, though i much prefer the pearls, they are psychotics little devils!! At least the silvers can potentially live with other fish! My larger pearl.... to feed him it was a case of lifting heavy things off top of ank and getting food ready, opening lid/chucking food in and quickly shutting lid and holding it shut tight as the arro hit the top at such speed to get the food that if you didnt hold the lid, he would come straigh through it!

I had a 1.5" silver and a 1.5" pearl arro at similar times, maybe the silver was a few weeks older as the pearl had only just lost eggsac but the silver was easily over 12-14" in 12-15 months but the Pearl was probably only 8" by that point. Mind you, it ould be to do with size of tanks as well, the silver ate well and so got moved to bigger and bigger tanks ending in an 8x3, the Pearl whilst ate well, would only eat if he didnt have to go far for food, too big a tank and he stopped eating, he was a right nervous one! So smaller tanks = slower growth? That said, he eventually got going and is an absolute beast now by all accounts! He is actually my ex's fish so I dont know now.

yeah silvers are not as aggressive as the exotic varieties.....i have kept large silvers with tinfoil barbs, clown knifes, oscars, bala sharks, and id sharks....(not all at the same time)....i found as long as the other fish were similar size and the silvers were well fed, they wouldnt really bother with the other fish

All this talk of Arowanas gets me down. My Jardini arrived DOA today
sad.png

josh_g said:
All this talk of Arowanas gets me down. My Jardini arrived DOA today :(
Damn bro, I feel for you. Last year I had 3 baby Highback gold arowanas, woke up one morning and one of them managed to escape by slipping through a small crack between the back of the tank cover and the heater and flopped. One of sadest days of my life, $400 down the drain.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back