slime/film on top of betta's tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

BettaMomma

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
So...
both of my betta tanks (2.5 gallon rectangle tanks) develop a sort of film or "slime" across the top of the tank within a day or two of water changes. It doesn't seem to cause any problems except that the fish have somewhat of a hard time seeing pellets when I drop them in.

Am I correct in assuming that this film develops because the water's not moving? (I have no airstones or bars running in the tank). I used to have a very slow air bubble in the tank and the whole film issue started once I took that out.

Just wanted to make sure there's nothing sinister brewing in these tanks.
Thanks.

I have the same problem. I believe from what I've read before, it's a protein (?) coating from foods in the water.

If you take a paper towel and run it over the top of the water, it should lift it off and take care of it between water changes.

I dunno...

How often do you do water changes? The only time I have ever gotten any type film was in my community tank..and even then it's only a transparant/rainbow-y colored haze..it's never been "slimey" to the touch. And that has gone away since I put the DuckWeed in there.

I think I would to a heavy water change, maybe. Are they filtered at all? If not I'd do a complete water change and wash the tanks out (I found some tank washing spray at the pet store that works great).

In my Beanie Boxes I do get a slight slimey coating of the walls of the tanks...now I dunno what that is...but after 3-4 water changes I have to just completely wash the tanks out..instead of just dumping the water out and rinsing with hot water.

I have no filtration or air bubbles in these tanks.
They're 2.5 gallon - I do 100% water changes every 5 days, religiously.
I think I may try putting a very slow bubbling air stone in one and see if that makes a difference.

I really don't know what it could be - I read the post above that says it could be protein slime from the food, but my guys devour their pellets (i feed them one at a time) within 5 seconds of them hitting the water, so I don't know that could be what it is...

I have an extra air pump at home - i'll try that and let you know in the next few days if it helps keep the slime away.
:)

what do you use for a dechlorinator? i found when i switched to amquel, the plants and tank had more of a greasy,slimey feeling...

Amquel leaves a oily feeling for me as well. Bettas are air breathers and they are contanstly going to the surface and many believe that the film on the water is saliva :p

I use Start Right by Jungle.
I just picked up another betta boy last night and he's in a hexy tank with a slight air bubble trickle, so we'll see if that makes a difference.

I really think it's just cuz there's not circulation in the surface of the water, and the fish slime along with all the other yucks in the water from the fish (waste, etc.) just causes it to get stale.

I'll let ya know in a few days if the hexy tank is slimeless :)

Ungh! My female's five gallon gets this and I can not for the life of me figure it out. Its this filmy, rainbow-looking slime on the water's surface. She has a filter, but it actually slows down the current! I do a 50% water change weekly on her and have taken everything out and rinsed it down thoroughly several times trying to eliminate the problem. It always comes back. None of my males have this problem, and all of them have similar tanks and filtration systems. Not even my 2.5 gal hospice tank gets it and that thing is always filled with sick, messed up fish and tons of anti-biotics. I wish there was a way to get rid of that slime, its quite annoying.

Hmm, interesting.
I had wondered if it was something in the water, but I have a tank at home and a tank at work - same story for both (and each place is in a different city, so the water sources are completely different).

The ONLY 2 similarities in the tanks are:
1) the type of tank (2.5 rectangle glass tank)
2) the food - Aqua Culture Betta Pellet Food
3) silk plants
3) they're both male bettas

I don't even use the same type of dechlorinator between home & work.

I used to have a slow air bubble trickle here at work, and I don't remember seeing the slime here, but I took the bubble out cuz he didn't really like it.

I have been doing some research on this issue and the only ideas I've found that ppl have is with the air flow thing, like I suspected.

I am still stumped.
UUGH.

I have a 10g divided with 3 boys in it. There are fluval 1 filters at either end which just gently flow around but don't create bubbles. The middle section's water doesn't move around as much as the outer ones and an oily residue always builds up on it. So I believe in my case its surface agitation or rather lack of it that causes it.

I always thought that was it too, but my female has the strongest filter of any of my bettas and yet she still gets it. Maybe she's just messy or something; NONE of my males have ever had this problem. Everyone is each in their own heated, filtered 5 gal, same type of water, same dechlorinator, same food, same brand of plants and rocks. Mystery indeed.

I wonder if it's from fish slime - and some fish just produce more than others - sort of like some men have more body hair than others. hmm...

Maybe I'm just retarded to think that a fish could produce enough slime to have it build up on top of the water.

:/

Mystery indeed!

I have just changed around the boys in the divided tank during a water change so there's a different male in the middle so we'll see if its just the fish :)

Do let me know.
I am very curious.

I did actually discover something crazy that sort of makes sense, but then again it doesn't - on a website.

Someone had posed the same question, and the answer the person gave was...
"It's simple. You probably either use Pledge cleaner near or around your tank, or you have some sort of plug-in oil air freshener. This sends the oils in the air which in turn land in your tank"

Well, I don't have any of that kind of stuff here at the office and the tank condition is the same story as at home so I don't believe that's the problem.
Besides, at home I have a glass top (with spacers on either side for air) so nothing that's raining down out of the air could directly land on top of the tank.

VERY odd.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back