Simplest way to take care of apple snail's eggs

Extarys

Reaction score
Hello there!

I found a little surprise tonight when I got back from work. My little invertebrates made three "nests". I didn't notice before. One seems a little more white than the two others (the second picture) but they are pretty pink/red-ish.
Apple snail eggs - filter.jpg Apple snail eggs - cover.jpg Apple snail eggs - deep cover.jpg Apple snail - parent.jpg

Sorry for the poor light, it is dark when I get home and I don't open the lights because I feed them and close their lights so.

I was wondering what is the simplest way to take care of those. Could I just let them there? Will they hatch? Will they survive? I don't want a thousand snails but a couple of babies would be good since I'm thinking about transforming this tank into a invertebrate one (snails and shrimps).

I'm very nervous. If they was there this weekend, I removed the top and put it on the floor to help cleaning. Can this have an impact on the eggs?

Your help is very welcomed as I never really had other babies than guppies and they are way too easy to take care of. haha

Ok after some research I think I got 1 male and 1 femele Channeled Apple Snail (my boyfriend have the eye it seems, what the chances).

After some research it appears it is considered "invasive" so I'm a little sad since I though I had a special moment discovering those eggs :(. Ok very sad.

I still love them though because they are beautiful. Is there many people having Channeled Apple Snails as pet in their tank or should I consider myself stupid for having those?

I still want a Golden Apple Snail someday since they are gorgeous!

I also read that I can (I think) leave the eggs like that and once they are ready they will just hatch and drop in the water, then natural selection will begin I guess. What do you think?

Personally I love snails and they make great pets in their own right, However that many snails will affect water quality, If you can sell the babies to a petshop fine if not I would consider removing the eggs and putting them in the garden.

You should read this care sheet
http://applesnail.net/content/care.php

If you want them to hatch - the best thing to do is to simply leave them alone. The snails know the best place to lay their eggs for the correct humidity levels and whatnot. I think they take about 2 weeks to hatch. Keep an eye on them, and when they hatch, you might want to put them in a fry box or something to make sure they don't get eaten by other fish and also to ensure that they get enough food.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back