Simplest way to take care of apple snail's eggs

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Extarys

Reaction score
Hello there!

I found a little surprise tonight when I got back from work. My little invertebrates made three "nests". I didn't notice before. One seems a little more white than the two others (the second picture) but they are pretty pink/red-ish.
Apple snail eggs - filter.jpg Apple snail eggs - cover.jpg Apple snail eggs - deep cover.jpg Apple snail - parent.jpg

Sorry for the poor light, it is dark when I get home and I don't open the lights because I feed them and close their lights so.

I was wondering what is the simplest way to take care of those. Could I just let them there? Will they hatch? Will they survive? I don't want a thousand snails but a couple of babies would be good since I'm thinking about transforming this tank into a invertebrate one (snails and shrimps).

I'm very nervous. If they was there this weekend, I removed the top and put it on the floor to help cleaning. Can this have an impact on the eggs?

Your help is very welcomed as I never really had other babies than guppies and they are way too easy to take care of. haha

Ok after some research I think I got 1 male and 1 femele Channeled Apple Snail (my boyfriend have the eye it seems, what the chances).

After some research it appears it is considered "invasive" so I'm a little sad since I though I had a special moment discovering those eggs :(. Ok very sad.

I still love them though because they are beautiful. Is there many people having Channeled Apple Snails as pet in their tank or should I consider myself stupid for having those?

I still want a Golden Apple Snail someday since they are gorgeous!

I also read that I can (I think) leave the eggs like that and once they are ready they will just hatch and drop in the water, then natural selection will begin I guess. What do you think?

Personally I love snails and they make great pets in their own right, However that many snails will affect water quality, If you can sell the babies to a petshop fine if not I would consider removing the eggs and putting them in the garden.

You should read this care sheet
http://applesnail.net/content/care.php

If you want them to hatch - the best thing to do is to simply leave them alone. The snails know the best place to lay their eggs for the correct humidity levels and whatnot. I think they take about 2 weeks to hatch. Keep an eye on them, and when they hatch, you might want to put them in a fry box or something to make sure they don't get eaten by other fish and also to ensure that they get enough food.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back