Sick?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

shmeepie

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
yesterday i noticed that my fish had missing scales at least thats what it looks like (skin coloured parts on body) Also another fish has scales that are sticking out, which is what the other fish looked like a few months ago. Is it possible that the first fish has a contagious desiese, or is it that the two fish have been fighting :dunno: -_- if its a desiese, do u think it will die? SHould i isolate the 2 fish from the others?

Hi shmeepie,

Sorry to hear what's happened :-(

In answer to your question, your fishes have been afflicted by 'dropsy'. Please go back to the main screen/page, locate 'Beginner Questions', and find a pinned article called 'pinned - Fish Diseases,' compiled by Kossy.

Its great, and should help you on your way. :D

ok thanks.........oh i don't want them to die!!! :byebye: :-(

Dropsy : One of the most disturbing of fish diseases, and is rarely cureable. Dropsy is an internal bacterial infection.

Symptoms: The fish's scales will stand out, making it have a pine comb look. Sometimes eyes can .blow up'.

Treatment : Use Kanamycin or Tetracycline and raise the temperature to about 80 degrees/ 30 deg C. This helps remove the fluid note this is rarly curablee.

Ok, so, should i isolate them? is contagious? how do i raise the temerature?

Please! I need some help here! I need to know whether or not i need to isolate them!!! :-( :-( :-(

My personal opinion is if I ever get 'diseased' fish is to isolate them immediately. Better safe than sorry. Just my opinion.

Don't mean to increase your worry further. If its happened before, in the same tank, then its a sure bet the same bacteria is still in your tank.

Your local fish store should be able to help you with the acquisition of these drugs/chemicals...if you want to go down that route. There is little/no other option.

Your water heater should have a dial of some kind in which you can raise/lower the temperature. Is your tank tropical or coldwater, or what type of fish have you got?

coldwater, so i don't have a heater....how do u suppose i heat up the water?

Coldwater....In this case, you may not need to worry about the heating part. Your coldwater fishes wouldn't be able to survive for long in warmer waters. But, I'm not an expert in all fishes because I know some cold water fishes are able to tolerate warmer waters than others.

First thing, I recommend you doing is to go down your local fish store, and enquire about these type of medications, and don't forget to ask them if these chemicals will affect your fish/es in any way (don't forget to tell them what type of fishes you have). Please be aware that some fishes are also very sensitive to certain types of chemicals...just like us humans.

Obviously, brace yourself for the possibility of finding this disease being incurable, as suggested by Kossy.

Please be brave shmeepie. I'm hoping for you.

Obviously, brace yourself for the possibility of finding this disease being incurable, as suggested by Kossy.

Ok, I will.

Please be brave shmeepie. I'm hoping for you.
praying would be more useful, but thank you so much just the same. Thanks you so much for all your help, you were really,really, helpful.

Ok, so I've isolated them, i'm going down to the pet shop, praying for my fish, anything else i should do?

I can't think of anything else, apart from saying that some fishes are more resistant to Dropsy than others. As I don't know what type of fishes you have, I'm sure you'll still have a few of your friends after all this.

What time is it for you? Over here its 4am. I should be asleep right now. So, if its night over there for you.....get some sleep, shmeepie.

Best wishes. :)

thank you, i have goldfish, and its 1:45pm over here, so no need for sleep

Dropsy can be caused by a bacterial infection or in internal organ damage, if it is the organ damage it is hard if not impossibe to cure unfortunatly. Interpet 9 can help with bacterial infections. :) Hope your fish makes it. :)

i got this stuff from the pet shop, it turned the water green :rofl: the 2 dropsy fish, they were swimming around fine, i hadn't noticed anything wrong until yesterday....is that normal? with the green stuff in the tank the dropsy fish look happier :D i think they are on the mend, but i'm not sure, do they usually make a pretty quick reaction to medicine? i hope so.....are you sure its dropsy? could it be that they were fighting?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back