sick danio - please help

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

phillippa42

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
He seemed fine this morning - this afternoon he's swimming in very tight circles at the top of the tank.

There's a strange red mark on the top of his back, going down slightly one side. At first I thought it was an injury from attack? But the skin doesn't look broken?

If he stops swimming he sinks down a bit and slightly lopsided.

I've never had a sick fish before. water chemistry is fine - i tested yesterday. I did a 10% water change today as well.

I only keep other danios, a molly, 2 corys and a yo-yo loach so I don't think they'd have attacked him

please help

Red patches are an indication of septicemia, you need strong antibiotics to stand a chance with this as it's blood poisoning, i'm afraid he's won't make it as his swimming pattern is the sign of a fish dying, also I think the fish is to weak for medication, sorry.

Thanks for that - I was just beginning to think sceptecima myself after doing some research.

I can't find him now in the tank. I think maybe he's dies and got wedged somewhere? Waiting for hubby to come home from work now. I've looked under all the ornaments and plants and can't see him.

Why has he got it when ammonia and nitrite and nitrate are all good. Is it infectious.

This danio is one of the ones that cycled my tank - is that why? Tank has been cycled for 6 weeks now though.

thanks

Yes more than likely, isn't contagious I don't think, if it's not a massive tank maybe remove ornaments and plants if they are not real, best to get him out of there if he has died, sorry.

wilder i love that ranchu (is it?) in your av. is he yours?

Sadly no wish it was mine as it's a cute little thing, got the avator off the net.

Well I can see it now - its under the filter. I think its dead, certainly not moving and gills don't appear to be moving. Tried poking it out with net and can't get it out.

Can't get the filter out either - hubby should be back in half an hour though. Must admit I have a bit of a dead fish phobia. Think I would actually throw up if I got a good look at it. :sick: Does anyone else feel like this about dead fish?

Can't see my bigger cory now either which is worrying me. He is kinds shy though so hopefully he's just hiding. :/

Tomorrow I'm going to buy a little quarantine tank and EVERY fish medicine in the shop. If it had been something treatable then I'd have had to have waited till tomorrow to get some stuff. From now on I want everything in the house so I can use it straight away if needed.

I was abit funny about dead fish when first started the hobby, but dosn't bother me now, only strong antibiotics would of helped but he was in a bad way so they wouldn't have helped if you treated today as antibiotics take a while to kick in, sorry for your loss, always handy to have aquarium salt,melafix,internal bacteria med, and whitespot med in just in case.

Thanks for all the advice - I've been and got a load of different meds and a quarantine tank for next time.

Would it be silly of me to get another you-yo loach tomorrow - should I wait a bit and see what happens? Water parameters are fine and fish look fine. My yo-yo loach is hiding and I know he needs another the same as him to keep him company. I don't want him getting too stressed being by himself.

You could but not advised really, quarantine him to make sure he isn't fetching anything into the tank, caught me out as was to lazy to set the quarantine tank up.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back