Shubunkin Photo

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

10 Tanks

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hello TFF. A few years ago, I got into keeping a few Shubunkins. Here's a photo of a four year old, possibly a female. It's roughly five inches long and is in a 45 gallon, tall tank with another Shubunkin and two common Goldfish.

10 Tanks (Now 11)

Attachments

• IMG_3786.jpg
    IMG_3786.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 3,792
Sorry but that’s not a shubunkin, it’s a Sarasa Comet. Shubunkins have a blue base colour, and
although every one is unique they all have
some degree of black spotting and/or blotches on the body and/or fins. :)

Last edited:
Sorry but that’s not a shubunkin, it’s a Sarasa Comet. Shubunkins have a blue base colour, and
although every one is unique they all have
some degree of black spotting and/or blotches on the body and/or fins. :)
Hello. That's Interesting. I've seen Sarsa Comets before and the tail fin is shorter than that on a Shubunkin. I've also seen pictures of Shubinkins with no black coloring.

10 Tanks (Now 11)

Hello. That's Interesting. I've seen Sarsa Comets before and the tail fin is shorter than that on a Shubunkin. I've also seen pictures of Shubinkins with no black coloring.

10 Tanks (Now 11)

If the tail is shorter than a shubunkin it’s just a red and white standard goldfish. Comets are called comets because of their long tails.

I stand corrected, American shubs often don’t have black on them. British ones nearly all do.

If the tail is shorter than a shubunkin it’s just a red and white standard goldfish. Comets are called comets because of their long tails.

I stand corrected, American shubs often don’t have black on them. British ones nearly all do.
If they don't have blue and black they aren't shubunkins in the goldfish judging book.

A red and white fish is a red and white goldfish. If the Americans want to call it a shubunkin, they can bugga off and learn what a shubunkin is, otherwise I will send the King of England there to visit them and watch them freak out over their guns. Quickly, grab your guns, the King of England is coming to America.

It's definitely a sarasa comet.

I've seen Sarsa Comets before and the tail fin is shorter than that on a Shubunkin.
There are also shubunkins tha have shorter tails. The name "shubinkin" has got nothing to do with the tail length and tail shape. Neither does the name "sarasa". These names are in the coloration. The tail shapes do have name themselves as well as you've already noticed. Which goes for all fish when they are different from the shape of the original fish, btw.

Most reactions

Back