Shrimp tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Fishboy0304

Reaction score
i really love shrimp and I have a 7 gallon waiting for them.
It will be planted with java moss and more similar plants good for hiding and breeding them.
What species of shrimp and how many should I get?

Could you post the pH and hardness of your water, please?

What about the hardness? This is not the same as pH.

Buddy, 'neutral' can only refer to pH levels, not hardness.There is just no such thing as neutral water with relation to hardness.

You can find out the hardness of your water on your supplier' website; take note of any actual numbers, plus what scale they've used (it will be something like °DH, °Clark, mmg/l).

Ok, thanks for letting me know! In my suburb the water is around 200 mmg / litre. Is this hard? What shrimp can be housed in this water?

I assume that is 200 mg/l CaCO3? If it's 200 mg/l Ca (the unit my water company uses) that is incredibly hard, but 200 mg/l CaCO3 makes more sense.

Fish profiles give hardness ranges in one of two units, either ppm or dH.
mg/l is the same as ppm, so your 200 mg/l is 200 ppm. And that converts to 11.2 dH.

You need to remember these two numbers - 200 ppm and 11.2 dH - when researching fish.

Hi! Get red cherry shrimps! They are very hardy. Once i had an emergency- tank was broken and i had to put them in tap water. Every single one survived! They even had babies afterwards!

Hello guys, thanks so much for the info and suggestions! I think I will go with Cherry shrimp because they are hardy and look awesome!
How many should I get?

Cherry shrimp would be a really good choice for you; they are very easy and hardy, and do very well in hard water :)

Get a group of at least five or six; a few more would be fine if you can afford them, but they'll breed very readily, and you should soon have a nice sized colony :)

Make sure they are all the same colour and type. If you try to mix and match you will end up with a tank of brown shrimp after a few generations.

Hello guys, thanks so much for the info and suggestions! I think I will go with Cherry shrimp because they are hardy and look awesome!
How many should I get?
My shrimps started to reproduce like crazy when I increased tank’s temperature. Just a tip

Hi

Keep an eye on Nitrates, Above 20ppm RCS are susceptible to disease and infertility.

I suggest you get some Indian Almond Leaves and Blackberry leaves as food for the shrimp.

Vegetables such as Zucchini, Lettuce, Spinach, Shelled cooked Peas, Spinach and Carrots should be part of their diet

My shrimps started to reproduce like crazy when I increased tank’s temperature. Just a tip
Increased to what?

The optimum aquarium temperature for Red Cherry Shrimp is around 77-81°F (25-27°C). Higher temperatures will lead to faster growth and reproduction rates. However higher temperatures reduces dissolved oxygen and stocking will need to be lowered. 86°F (30°C) is the upper limit tolerated by RCS but at this point the water needs to be aerated and the tank cannot be overstocked. RCS can survive temperatures lower than 77°F but they are unlikely to breed and have a higher chance of catching disease.

Ps

What type of filter do you have? Most filters like HOB, Power head and canister filters are not shrimp safe with out some modification.

Most reactions

trending

Back