Shrimp babies?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Ameris

Reaction score
Turns out two of my orange neocaridina shrimp have eggs. Does anybody know how long gestation time is and what I can expect when they’re laid?

Depending on their maturity. From less than 10 to 20 and more each, up to 40-50 in ideal conditions, in 25-35 days.

But as the eggs grow the mother will drop those that she cant physically carry. So the size of the mommy is directly linked to the number of grown eggs she will be able to carry.

Depending on their maturity. From less than 10 to 20 and more each, up to 40-50 in ideal conditions, in 25-35 days.

But as the eggs grow the mother will drop those that she cant physically carry. So the size of the mommy is directly linked to the number of grown eggs she will be able to carry.
Awesome, thank you!

Remember that their metabolism, and hence maturity, how fast they grow, reproduce, and also the length of their lifespan - is determined by the temperature of the water they're kept in. Warmer temps means shrimp mature and reach breeding age faster, but they'll have shorter lifespans on average, that shrimp raised and growing in cooler temps, that will take longer to reach adulthood and breeding condition, but will generally live longer lifespans. If you take all other factors such as food or predation out of the equation.

Remember that their metabolism, and hence maturity, how fast they grow, reproduce, and also the length of their lifespan - is determined by the temperature of the water they're kept in. Warmer temps means shrimp mature and reach breeding age faster, but they'll have shorter lifespans on average, that shrimp raised and growing in cooler temps, that will take longer to reach adulthood and breeding condition, but will generally live longer lifespans. If you take all other factors such as food or predation out of the equation.
Fascinating, I had no idea! Thank you.

Since you have a betta in that tank I would still keep the temperature on the warmer side for him.

The shrimps and betta should be fine at middle ground of 76-77 degrees Fahrenheit. The shrimps will live a little faster, but your betta will be a lot less prone to environmental stress at warmer temperature.

Most reactions

Back