Shredded Guppy Tails

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

newland

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all

I've recently come accross a problem with fish dieing. I made the mistake of over stocking my tank and some fish have died.

Also my nitrite levels are low but not 0 about 0.1 or less than.

I'm awating a test for all the other water tests i can do.

I've now got 5 guppies and 1 platy in a 20 litre tank.

I lost 2 guppies today to what could be fin rott. Both their tails were shredded and they were not quite dead but would swim for a bit then give up.

I made the sacrifice and pulled them out to prevent spread.
Is this fin rott or something else?

What can i do to save my other fish?
Also is this only going to affect the guppies or will the platty be affected too?

Thank you

is the tank new or has it been going for a while?
its just under 5 gallons so unless you have filtration then you can really only keep about three guppies.
does the tank have filtration and a heater. it would be good to know the temperature of the water as well and what you do regarding water changes and adding dechlorinator.
if the tank does have a filter, what is it and has it cycled.
in the meantime salt your tank with aquarium tonic salts and add 1 level teaspoon per gallon every twelve hours until you have done it 3 times. this should kill any bacteria and help the fins to heal, though it will be slow progress.
do you know your ammonia level and ph?
the main reason for bacteria to take hold is usually bad water conditions so keep testing your water and do 50% water changes when needed.

Hi there

The tanks been up abount 4 weeks now.
Has a pump/filter and heater.
Also an oxygen pump too.

Soo I can run all this for only 3 Guppies. Are you joking?
The box showed at least 12 guppies in the tank.

Temperature is set at 26C-27C

Last 3 days been doing a water change of about 15%
Nitrites are less than 0.1

Other tests will be done once the test arrives which should be thursday.

Seriously though if i'm running all this i can only have 3 guppies. The tank seams big enough to hold more than 3. It would look so bare with only 3 in it.

i gave that figure of three guppies as i didnt know if you had a filter or not, i assumed not. :)
with a filter you could have half a dozen guppies but i wouldnt get any more until the tank has cycled properly. you will need to test the ammonia levels regularly as the filter cycles to stop the fish getting ill from spikes in ammonia and nitrite.

i have the same size tank and to be honest i only have a female betta in it.

remember to rinse your filter material/sponge in dechlorinated water or used tank water when it is time to clean it.

Thank you for your help.

If these fish keep dieing then i'm looking to put 2 hardy fish in perhaps 2 - 4 plattys and a simise fighter fish in. do you think this would be ok?

I'de intreduce say 2 plattys first and keep then in there for about 2 weeks before adding any new fish. Then add if i can 2 more plattys and leave for 2 weeks then add the fighter.

Would this be ok?

:lol:
i gave that figure of three guppies as i didnt know if you had a filter or not, i assumed not.
with a filter you could have half a dozen guppies but i wouldnt get any more until the tank has cycled properly. you will need to test the ammonia levels regularly as the filter cycles to stop the fish getting ill from spikes in ammonia and nitrite.

i have the same size tank and to be honest i only have a female betta in it.

remember to rinse your filter material/sponge in dechlorinated water or used tank water when it is time to clean it.

U trying 2 cover wat u said aigh. ITS FIN ROT U HAVE go 2 ur pet shop/ fish shop wat ever one is closer buy sum fin rot chemical and treat the tank with it. it should be easy 2 control , and make sure in future when u buy fish that the fish dosnt have fin rot jst in case it will probaly die and would be a waste of money. u should buy a more hardy fish like a molly or platy and a few tetras, them guppy r useless and r hard 2 keep alive and breed like hell 2 lol> good luck anyways :thumbs:

Platys are hardy than guppys, guppys should never be used for cycling the tank, what are your latest test results.

i think we know its finrot thats been established snotirl. so whats so funny then?

finrot is directly linked to poor water quality allowing bacteria to multiply and take hold on weakened fish. getting the water healthy and using salt and then meds if still neccessary would be my choice. simple enough to grasp.

I'll get hold of some treatment for fin rot.

MY LFS if pretty lame so if I can't get hold of any there is there anything else i can do in the mean time to prevent any of the fish from dieing?

Also if i see which looks like it getting fin rot eg top fin is clamped and tail looks darkned. Should i remove it before it dies?

Thank you

If top fin is clamped it means the fish is stressed do a water change and post test results, the tail has darkened when a fish darkens it can be a bacteria infection, you might need anti internal bacteria med as you can have bacterial finrot.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back