Should I Replace The Bulb That Came With My Tank?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

PaulQ

Reaction score
I have a TopFin tank kit and I'm using the "Marineland Natural Daylight" fluorescent bulb that came with it. I really want to develop a planted tank - real plants. Should I replace this bulb with something else?

The existing bulb can't be more than 20 watts because that's the rating on the fixture.

Also - I notice the bulbs are either 18" or 24" but mine measures 23" - does that mean I get a 24" bulb?

Thanks!

Take your light down to a LFS and they will sort something out for you, they will just look at the specs of the current bulb and if you tell them what the fixture states then they will find something to accommodate for your needs.

Of course you could always do that and then turn around and say never mind then buy on-line with the newly acquired knowledge.

Hiya's,

If it's a Juwel (not in this case) then they have non generic sizes made especially for themselves to monopolize their grip on anything juwel lol

Anyways, sometimes they quote lengths without the pins/electrical points hence a 23" would in reality be 24" overall length with pins taken into account

Hope that helps

Tony

Basically, if you don't know where to look to first without someone on hand to determine the true measurements, just take it to someone who does. It can save aggro if you order something on-line which doesn't fit.

Basically, if you don't know where to look to first without someone on hand to determine the true measurements, just take it to someone who does. It can save aggro if you order something on-line which doesn't fit.

I think you guys are right that I should avoid online ordering for this item. Now I have to figure out if the existing bulb is good enough.

It really depends on what are your bulbs "specs"....... My "stock" bulb was an AQUEON 8000K..........I love it and it grows my fully planted tank beautifully while making my fish look awesome with the red tinge to it.

Just wanted to follow-up... My existing bulb measured 23" but with the pins, it was about 24". It turns out that indeed it is a 24" bulb.

I went to PetSmart and got a 24" FloraGlo 20w bulb. The light it gives off is different from the light the original stock bulb gives off. This leads me to believe it was a good idea to replace the bulb.

Thanks all!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back