setting up a new tank at work

big mick

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Having finally convinced my boss that nice 30 gallon tank would be 'good for stress in the office' we set it up today.

Im going to keep water from my next 30% water change I do on my tank at home to take in and add to the new tank over the weekend (I also have a 30 gallon) to get things started but everyone is moaning that they want fish (nobody wanted a fish tank before but now Ive set it up they are all fasinated!) and dont seem to understand the need for cycling.

I was thinking of leaving it for 4-5 days, do a water change and add the 30% water from my tank at home then start by getting some guppies to start with.

Has anyone got any suggestions to help?

Cheers!

Adding water from you home tank won't help with the cycling. The good bacteria in your established tank are in your filter media, substrate and attached to the tank walls and decorations. There is only a minute amount of bacteria that is actually water borne. What would help though is to maybe take the filter and also some of the sand/gravel from your established tank and add it to your new tank (any decorations that you might want to move too). Just don't tank so much that you create a huge bacteria shortage in your tank. Also, adding quite a few live plants can help with the cycling.

Hmm.
well.. I'm not a cycling expert by any means.
I think you might be better off getting some gravel from your existing tank rather than water - just toss that into a plastic baggy and bring it in, then dump it into the tank.

I can understand why the employees are so excited about getting fish. :)
I have a hard time myself waiting for a tank to cycle.
In fact, I have never been able to wait, but that's because I kind of had emergencies where I had to get my fish into stable temperature environments.

Anyway - I'm not sure how guppies are for cycling - someone else will have to come along and let you know about that.

do you have your decor and everything picked out?
I'm excited for you!!

If you put filter media and/or some gravel from any established tank into the new tank, you'll have an instant cycle and you can (and should) add a couple of hardy fish right away. The reason is simply that you must have a source of ammonia in the tank to keep the bacteria colony alive and multiplying if you want the tank to stabilise and remain cycled. When you add filter media or otherwise introduce bacteria to a new tank from an established tank you are essentialy 'cloning' the existing tank's biological filtration - it is safe to add fish right away as long as you don't over-do it and add too much at once leaving the bacteria with no chance to multiply and catch up with the extra bioload (which would result in a mini-cycle).

Guppies are probably not the best choice - I'd go for platies instead (all male if you don't want them to breed) - and introduce them to the tank slowly and then immediately after add the established filter media. A week or so later, test the water; it should be stable and cycled. Obviously you can add more fish then if the water's ok. Otherwise, do some water changes and keep testing until you have 0 ammonia/nitrItes. Keep nitrAtes below 20ppm with regular (prefferably weekly) water changes.

If you add the media and substrate from your existing tank, you can still do a fishless cycle with ammonia as you will be feeding the bacteria. You said that everyone wanted fish as soon as possible. If you do choose to use filter media and substrate from you existing tank, I would add enough ammonia to bring the level to about .5 to 1 ppm and see how long it tanks that (and the nitrite) to go down. It shouldn't take too long. You should then be ready add some fish. I wouldn't add but 2 or 3 hardy ones as someone said. The tank definitely won't be cycled for a full load.

I agree with Sylvia - everyone is eager for fish and by adding filter media from your own filter you can safely add fish. As long as you are adding the media at the same time as the fish, you can add several of any smaller fish you want to, because there is a bacteria-load already there to support it! The more media you add, the larger amount of fish you can add.

While you don't want to overdo it, you can get too paranoid and go too far the other way, like adding just two guppies, in which case most of the bacteria you've taken care to introduce will die back anyway.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back